We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing - need advice

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing - need advice

We will be headed to the GP April 27-may 4th. This will be our second trip to Mexico. The last time there was late October right before a hurricane and we went on a deep sea fishing tour and didn't catch a thing, not even a bite. My husband is afraid to book another fishing trip because he would be extremely upset to have that happen again. I know there are never any guarantees, but is it likely not to catch any fish this time of year?

I have read good things about captain ricks and the smaller boats off akumal bay, which have you had more success with? Also, is afternoon or morning a better time for success? Thanks!!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,554 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing - need advice

see the other post I just bumped on this same subject

Luckily, May is the top fishing time

We also have are famous LG fishing tourney on May 1st - PM me is you want to join (out of Akumal Bay)

Who did you go with in October?

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing - need advice

We were in Cozumel and booked through the palace there, lesson learned. The boat smelled, didn't speak any English, not a bite for 4 hours!! We just want to catch a fish (or two), even just a snapper!! :)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,554 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing - need advice

Sorry to hear of your October experience

You can get skunked in May (once) but mostly good experiences

As you are from Palladium, you can book a boat through Akumal's Cuevo Pescador Restaurant and they will cook it for you

Captain Rick does this as well but imho, overpriced

4. Re: Fishing - need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 05:17