We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Which of these resorts should we stay at for 2 weeks in December? Price below includes non stop flight. Price is a consideration:

1. Grand Palladium White Sands ($2200pp) - we like the in suite jacuzzi tub, unlimited no reservation a la carte's, spa and the beach.

2. GBP Sian Ka'an ($2000pp) - we like the luxury feel. Don't like beach, no jacuzzi tub in room and distance to beach.

3. GBP Coba ($1750pp) - best value. Same dislikes as Sian Ka'an.

Mentioned in this post
The Sian Ka'an at Grand Tulum
The Sian Ka'an at Grand...
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

We had the same resorts on our radar last year.

We ended up picking the GP.

After researching we decided that we like NOT having to make reservations for dinner and the unlimited Alacartes were nice. The GP's beach is beautiful and there is NO dolphin Dungeon at the GP, like the Bahia has.

We didn't even consider the SianKaan. I can sleep on a golf course with no water views right here in NE, and beyond that. I have to witness at least ONE sunrise on the beach. Almost impossible at the SK b/c there is no shuttle over to the beach that early :(

We enjoyed the GP. We would go back and that's saying something because we have never done the same resort twice :)

Good luck deciding

Happy travels

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Thank you!

Anyone else?

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Probably not worth a lot (as we havent visited any yet) but we chose Sian Kaan after researching all of the hotels around there as we felt it fitted our needs and budget well. We fly out in May and have never been to Mexico before. I think a lot of it is down to personal preference to be honest. Just from reading your post it seems already you prefer GP over coba and sian kaan so if you can afford that one go there, if you're more budget conscious go for one of the cheaper ones. Just on the sian kaan there are rooms with jacuzzi's (penthouse and garden rooms) not sure how much extra they are though - we opted just for a junior superior room.

Mentioned in this post
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

We have just book Sian Kaan as we were impressed with the reviews and the previuos service we have recieved from the Bahia chain of resorts

This wil be our 5th trip to a Bahia . Our experience at the Coba was remarkable

hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Thank you. We are now strongly considering the Sian Ka'an as I discovered the rooms with jacuzzis aren't too much more expensive, for the upgrade. Price would be comparable to Palladium White Sands.

Only downside now in Sian Ka'an vs Palladium is Sian Ka'an has sand wales on the beach and the 5 minute tram rides too the beach.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 11:35
Mentioned in this post
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

I really liked Palladium - the restaurants with mo reservations, the beach, the beautiful grounds, etc. I don't know what the price difference is, but the Royal Suites section certainly has that bit of luxury feel. I haven't stayed at the GBP in Mexico, but have at the one in Punta Cana - I thought the RS was much better than the Luxury Ambar section of GBP.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,573 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Punta Cana
Punta Cana
Dominican Republic
Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

I've stayed at a Grand Palladium - though not in Mexico. I've stayed at Coba and Sian Ka'an. They are all good places. It's just a matter of personal preference. For me I would choose Sian Ka'an everytime but I understand how some would not like it as much as the others. Not being on the beach can be a real deal breaker. I'm a beach person. So I too want to be close to the beach. However I still choose Sian Ka'an.

People's big concern is always the trolley ride to the beach. You can look at that two ways. It can be a pain waiting to get to the beach. Yes. But when most people are trying to get there they have plenty of them going. It's no big deal. You can see the ride as a boring creaking necessity. Or you can see at as a mini adventure. Talk up the driver and learn a bit about Mexico. Have interesting and or hilarious conversations with the driver or the guests. Ask them to play some Mexican music. Observe the beautiful jungle and wildlife along the way. It can be really fun. It's all in your attitude. There is one other big advantage to the trolley in the morning. Since they don't start until 7:00 am and the walk to the beach is about 22 minutes (at my pace) there is no "towel parade" when the sun comes up. And boy oh boy do I hate that!

Another thing to consider is tranquility. If you want night life and action don't go to Sian Ka'an. If you want a touch of luxury, tranquility, and better service then consider Sian Ka'an.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

Thank you.

Do you can walk to the beach from Sian Ka'an? The walk would be over the highway bridge? Is it safe to walk with all the trams?

That doesn't sound too bad...22 minutes.

Now the only real issue would be the Bahia beach with the rocks and sand wales to consider.

Mentioned in this post
108 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Gibbons, Alberta
Level Contributor
552 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

While I am a big GP fan, we stayed at the Royal Suites last year and it was ahhhmazing!! The walk to the beach is a mere 5 minutes or so from some pretty amazing suites there - with your very own jacuzzi on the balcony (we had a very private top floor jr suite - basic category not an upgrade room). However, if it were me I'd go with price every time. You can't beat a great price! We had relatives stay at the GBP last year and they enjoyed it (it was their first time traveling anywhere) - they said the food was good - they didn't bother with the a la carte's they just ate at the buffets. They didn't spend much time on the beach, spent most of their time in the pools instead.

Mentioned in this post
The Royal Playa del Carmen
The Royal Playa del...
17,573 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
2,026 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palladium WS, GBP Coba or Sian Ka'an?

In reading your descriptions, it looks like the Palladium is the one you should go to. For only $200 more per person (a little over $14 pp pd) you get unlimited reservations, spa, jacuzzi and a beach you really like. Plus you are right by the beach. Go with your gut as you have reservations about all the choices except the Palladium.

Edited: 05 April 2013, 14:44