We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Opinions On Bahia Coba vs Bahia Jamaica vs Bahia Punta Cana

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Spring Grove, Il
7 posts
Save Topic
Opinions On Bahia Coba vs Bahia Jamaica vs Bahia Punta Cana

Hello everyone:

I'm looking to book a trip this fall probably to one of the Bahia complexes. This vacation will be for myself (the dad) and 2 daughters ages 20 and 17. I'm looking for opinions from people that have been to Mexico and one or more of the other Bahia resorts. I've been to Montego Bay back in the 80's and to Punta Cana (Majestic Colonial and Breezes/Barcelo) a few years ago so. From my experience Jamaica had the best food and the beach in Punta Cana was just amazing.

Thanks in advance.

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Opinions On Bahia Coba vs Bahia Jamaica vs Bahia Punta Cana

My wife and I have been staying at the Bahia Principe Akumal a few times per year for a few years straight. For our anniversary this year, we decided to try Jamaica. It was nice, however it didn't sway our opinion of the Akumal resort. In a few months we will be trying out Sian Ka'an as well. In either case, I think I would prefer Mexico over Jamaica.

windsor
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Opinions On Bahia Coba vs Bahia Jamaica vs Bahia Punta Cana

We have been to the Bahia Runaway Bay (Jamaica), Ambar & Bavaro in the DR and Coba and Sian Ka'an in Mexico. We have been to each different area within the last 15 months so I have a relatively recent idea of all 3 places. All 3 are places are excellent choices as I am a huge Bahia fan and love all their properties. It all depends what you are looking for. I will try and do a short comparison for you:

Transfer:

The Bahia in Punta Cana is only 20 mins from the airport which is a huge bonus, Jamaica and Mexico are both at least an hr even with a private transfer.

Food:

All the food was great at all the resorts so it's hard to say what was best, I guess if I had to pick I would say the food in Jamaica was the best of all 3. However at the Ambar in Punta Cana and the Sian in Mexico were the exception as their food was incredible.

Rooms:

All the rooms are almost identical at all 3 places and all have the same layout.

Grounds:

Again all very similar, however the Bahia in Jamaica was a bit smaller then the others so it is easier to get around a find your way.

Pools:

I loved the pools in Mexico the best, there are so many different ones to choose from, even though the DR is a large 4-in-1 complex like Mexico I preferred the layout in Mexico over the DR.

Beach:

Hands down the beach in the DR is the best of the 3, it goes for miles in either direction and the sand is so soft there are no rocky areas anywhere just gorgeous powder white sand, downfall is there are tons of other resorts right around you so you all share the beach. Mexico would be the next best one and unlike the DR the Bahia has a large section of the beach for their hotels so you have to walk pretty far to cross by another resort. Jamaica the beach is also ok. but no comparison to the other 2, the swimmable part is pretty small, honestly not what I expected from a Jamaican beach. Snorkeling at the resort was best in Mexico.

It is a tough call, I guess it depends on your wallet, lol and where you want to go most. Of the 3 it seems right now Mexico is the cheapest, then Jamaica and then the DR. In Mexico there are lots of places close by to go visit and these can be done on your own for a fraction of the excursion cost, the other 2 places you would need to pay for the excursions and most are at least an hr bus ride to get to if not longer. With the ages of your kids I would say the activities and nightlife might be a little better for them at either Punta Cana or Mexico, Jamaica was a little bit of an older crowd (25-55) and it was a little mellow and laid back, where as the other 2 had tons of the 17-25 age range. So they may like that a bit better and may have more things to do both during the day and at night.

Good luck and honestly you can't go wrong with whatever you decide, they are all awesome resorts and we have always had an amazing time wherever we go!!

3. Re: Opinions On Bahia Coba vs Bahia Jamaica vs Bahia Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 06:16