We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Topic
Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Depending on your Destination and Hotel in Mexico, (Canadian Brides) may need the following:

1. You need the long version of your birth certificate (not the credit card size one)

2. Then you need to find an official translator who can translate the documents into Spanish

3. Once it is translated you need to have it notarized (by a commissioner of oath or a notary public) before you can send it off to the Department of Foreign Affairs

4. Once notarized, you send it to be authenticated by Foreign Affairs. You need to include a cover letter indicating that you want the documents to be authenticated and a pre-paid return addressed envelope.

5. It is then sent to the Mexican Embassy to be legalized

(Foreign Affairs will forward the documents to the Mexican Embassy for you if you include a money order and a pre-paid courier return envelope-You need to contact the Mexican Embassy to find out what the fee is before you send it off)

**** Check with your wedding coordinator in Mexico for complete info.

**** Brides from all countries should contact their Country - Department of Foreign Affairs for complete information.

Excellent reference site:

bestdestinationwedding.com/t/32958/canadian-…

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

No blood test?

No problem with divorced folks?

All of that BS and the wedding is a civil wedding...

Might be less hassle to marry in Canada and just honeymoon in Mexico...JMHO

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

People I know who got married in Mexico got married officially first in Canada or the States as the weddings that take place in Mexico are only legally recognized in Mexico.. Yes, I believe a blood test is required in Mexico and the bride and groom must arrive three business days prior to the ceremony..

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

"Weddings that take place in Mexico are only legally recognized in Mexico" - no, that is not true.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

I am from Canada and was legally married in Mexico and it is definitely recognized as a legal marraige in Canada. I did not have to translate anything into Spanish, just send copies of my passport and long form birth certificates to the wedding coordinator. (I also had to send my divorce certificate). The blood test was done at the hotel and took a whole 5 mins. It did take a while to get the official paperwork back from Mexico after we returned, but we got it and all was good

I have also sent many clients to get married in Mexico and we have never had them get anything translated into Spanish. This may have been done in mexico by our wedding coordinator, but we didn't have to do it. It was very simple.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,362 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

To clarify, I took this from an "official" wedding site on getting married in Mexico.

"Yes, the weddings are legal but have value only in Mexico; in order to make the wedding valid in your country you will need to request an apostille or a certification (Please be sure to ask to your wedding coordinator on site how is the procedure, the time that it takes to get it and the fee)."

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Our wedding coordinator and the other ones we have used (Palladium most recently, Bahia Barceló, Sirenis, Princess, and many more) have all this included with the package, so no worries to the brides.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

I think it is easier, and cheaper to have a quiet civil ceremony at home and have a symbolic wedding in Mexico. My friend just got married there and overheard another upset bride who had to cancel her wedding (while already in Mexico), because not all the paperwork was in order. Ouch. Doing the legal stuff at home, just seems to make life easier and the Mexican wedding less stressful.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Tip...Bring photocopies of your birth certificates and the originals.... Also to save $$$, have a friend who is spanish translate all the documents that are needed and have a doctor or Notary Public witness the documents.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Personally I'd do the wedding in Mexico, and do a quicky JOP wedding in the US after we returned.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brides getting married in Mexico-legal-wedding-info

Again, if you are from Canada, getting these documents translated into Spanish is not necessary. We do tonnes of weddings every year and have never had to do it. LIke I said, it may be done by the wedding coordinator there, but it has never had to be done here for any of the weddings we do. If you are getting married at a resort and using their wedding coordinators, many of these legal things are included. No point in paying for anything you don't need to.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 17:51