We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Just arrived yesterday for two weeks and as I was an avid TA reader prior to our trip (or TA geek as my bf called me) I thought I'd help out anyone else with any questions if I can before you come out here!

Just as a reassurance, I honestly don't know what the negative reviews are about - its fantastic here! But I guess it's subjective depending on what you want from a holiday! I was dubious before coming out here due to some of the consistently bad comments and having stayed at the Excellence resorts in Mexico before which were out of this world I was hoping not to be disappointed - and I'm pleased to say I'm not! It's not quite at the standard of the Excellence resorts but then we didn't pay anywhere near the price (nearly 50% less).

Anyway, feel free to ask away - will log in every couple of days!!

Sarah

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Hi Sarah

We are going on 25th August for 10 days

If you have any tips eg best a la cartes etc that would be apprceciated

hope you have a great holiday

Theresa

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
199 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Hi Sarah. Have never been to Grand Sirenis. From the pics the beach looks a little small (at least compared to the expanse of other resorts in the area). Do you find it is adequate? crowded? Have you snorkeled? I'm interested in learning about the snorkeling experience at Sirenis. Thanks. Have a great vacation. Glen

Yorks
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Hi Sarah

I'm going on the 16th July do you have to pay for your room safe??

Kind regards Nick

Pocklington
Level Contributor
131 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

I think a lot of the negative reviews on here come from over the pond where expectations are simply higher. Wherever we have been on holiday we always go with the flow - and just enjoy the holiday. Our colonial friends seem to look down on any race - and the poor old Mexicans seem to rate quite low.

Service is always an issue - where as us Brits seem to finding it asmusing in the Fawlty Towers type of way - others spend hours moaning about it on here.

Had to smile - when in the Dominican at a Dreams resort - a pick up truck somehow managed to reverse into the main pool at 7am in the morning...it was hilarious watching them trying get it out! I was all for giving them a hand...whilst others just looked on in disgust!

Anyway back to the question - what was you first impression of the place?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,067 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

How is the Wifi

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Hi Sarah -

We stayed there back in 2007 and loved it. Do the men still have to wear long pants to the restaurants or are dress shorts allowed? Can they were sandals or do they have to wear shoes?

Thanks

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
971 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Are there many children especially teens there? Was there much organized for children other than kids club? Were the beds comfy? Most in mexico aren't so I just wondered! I'd love to hear if you felt you needed water shoes to get in the water? Thanks!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
148 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Tips for restaurants - make sure you book in ASAP with yr concierge as they get booked up quickly, make sure any men in yr party wear long trousers and collared shirts (not sleeveless) or they will be turned away (shorts are ok for the buffet though), Japanese and Brazillian seem to be most popular. I would suggest that it's no big deal going for the Mexican or Italian a la cartes as you get the same food in buffet on themed nights so use your a la carte allowance for the better places!

The beach does look small on pics - however, whilst its not one long stretch of sandy beach, it is deceptively big with lots of interesting little coves making it great for snorkelling. Loads of room for sunbathing with plenty of sunbeds and palapas - never felt crowded! They do an organised excursion at 2.30 every day for snorkelling and costs around $40 but you also get an hours free rental per day of snorkelling equipment if you don't have your own. Apparently morning is best if you want to see the good stuff like turtles ( which is pretty much guaranteed). Make sure you bring water shoes or you can buy some at the gift shop on site!

Depends on whether your tour operator has it included in the price as to whether you have to pay for the room safe - it's about 350 pesos per week if not.

First impression of the place was really good - grand entrance, welcomed with a refreshing drink, check in was friendly and informative, got taken to our room on a little cart whilst the bags were brought up separately and we were very impressed with our room - big, bright, huge bath, multi- shower etc. Now we have been here a few days I think the only thing I would suggest for improvements would be more stuff to do at night - the shows are watchable but after they finish at 10.30 there's not much to do! We have a great room - 1728 - it's a short walk to beach, pool, lobby and most restaurants and don't get much noise from outside! View from balcony is part pool / part jungle.

Wifi hasn't been great but they had an issue with it the first few days so giving a partial refund. Apart from that its ok but slower than at home.

Yes men do still need to wear long pants in the a la cartes but sandals are ok!

There are some kids here of all ages - we don't have kids but in my opinion from what I've seen there isn't a huge amount for them to do but I could be wrong. There is an enclosed pool for kids where they also have the club in the daytime - the nighttime entertainment for kids ain't that great though.

I can sleep anywhere and so can my BF - not had any issues with the bed at all but I know some say they are quite firm.

Yes I would strongly suggest water shoes - you can get some at the hotel if you don't have any.

Yorks
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Thanks for your info Sarah,

regards nick

Topeka, Kansas
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: At Grand Sirenis now - any questions?

Great information Sarah, thanks for the help...