We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help us choose a resort

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Help us choose a resort

Hi all,

Thanks in advance for your time! I'm travelling with a group of 8 women (total) to this area in March 2014. We're planning to celebrate our 40th birthdays. Our original must haves were

-smaller resort, villa type accomadations

-close to cultural excursions

-great food and drinks

-great beach

-entertainment, gym

-adult only

-under $2000 per person.

We'd really like to get as much bang for our buck as possible. A 5 star if possible, but know that we'll likely be looking at 4-4.5 star. We're starting to realize that maybe we should be looking at bigger resorts that offer more...well, more everything I guess and maybe considering resorts that aren't adult only. Our reason for an adult only resort was mostly based on not having to spend time in pools with lots of little kids splashing us. Oh, and as one of the girls said "I'm on vacation, I don't want to worry about whether I can say F&!K at the pool". lol.

Some that we've been considering are the Grand Bahia Properties (Coba, most likely), the Ocean Maya and the Grand Sirenis. We're coming from Nova Scotia (if that helps).

Any thoughts on any of the above? Any that you might suggest that we take a look at? As you can see our "musts" may not be as "must" as originally thought. The idea of shopping on site and a lazy river sound really fun, but probably won't be available at smaller, adult only resorts.

Thanks!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
758 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help us choose a resort

Good on you beaches/cougars gettin away from the rat race. The Gran Bahia Coba won't do for you. Lots of kids when wifey and I visited in February and there is better beaches elsewhere I'm sure you'll get posts. March is peak season from Canada for springbreakers. You may be around lots of teenagers and college crowd. F-bombs aplenty but a punkass crowd too. Al

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,428 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help us choose a resort

The Grand Sirenis fails quite spectacularly on all your criteria except perhaps the price point.

Since most of us don't have any idea what it costs to fly from NS to Cancun and we've no idea how long you plan on staying for, it's generally much more helpful if you can give us a per night accommodation budget. If you can be flexible on your dates, I suspect you'll have more choice - you're choosing a rather expensive time of year to visit.

That said, check out Catalonia Royal Tulum. It's one of the more budget-friendly adult only resorts and it's on a great beach.

Ocean City, New...
Level Contributor
565 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help us choose a resort

The Bahia complex consists of a few different hotels - there's nothing small or villa like about it. It's also not adults only although the Sian Ka'an section is adults only, however it's also located on the other side of the highway, as far from the beach as you can get. And the beach is so so.

Grand Sirenis is also large, the water entry is rocky which is why there is decent snorkeling there. Not adults only, very family friendly.

Ocean Maya is the least expensive adults only resort in the area. If you want to stay away from kids, and in March, that will be a problem as many families travel during peak high season, this might be a good option. It is not fancy, the food is edible but not outstanding, the beach is ok in some spots, not as nice in others. But in general, for what you pay, it's a good choice.

Other adults only resorts you might want to look at are Catalonia Royal Tulum, which has a great beach. Secrets Capri, Valentin Imperial Maya might come in under budget as well.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help us choose a resort

Thanks all! Our dates aren't flexible (teachers in the group so we are limited to march break).

We are going for $2000 for 7 nights. It's hard to break down the price further as these all inclusives tend to be a little more expensive coming from Halifax then a bigger city like Toronto.

Thanks again!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help us choose a resort

Check the Palladium. A large complex with four resorts plus an exclusive adults only area. Guests at 4 resorts can use as much or as little of the amenities as they wish except Royal. Guests at Royal can use everything. There are some adults only pools, adults only spa and gym, adults only accommodations (Mayan suites on the beach on Kantenah and cabanas on White Sand) (in addition to the Royal). Unlimited ala cartes for all.

Check out Grand Palladium Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand, Riviera and Royal Suites Yucatan.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
385 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Help us choose a resort

I have been to Mexico many times, if I were to return my 1st choice would be Puerto Vallarta....it has much of what you want...smaller resorts, villa type accommodations, close to cultural excursions, great food and drinks, good beaches. You can take the local bus or walk safely for shopping, entertainment, restaurants, also the main, older, downtown waterfront square is very rustic....Cancun is too fast, flashy and the Riviera Maya hotels are very, very large complexes with 3 to 4 hotels on the properties, lots of vacationers...

If your group has never been on a cruise, 8 women would have a blast on a 7 day cruise, I have been on 2 Caribbean cruises and enjoyed them...the ship sails to a new port each evening and next morning you can explore for the full day each island, this gives you a feel for the different islands which you might want to return to...There is always a stop at a duty free port for shopping....The food, service, drinks, wine & liquor are always 1st class....Recommend to sail with Royal Caribbean International (no problems) and try to leave from San Juan, Puerto Rico otherwise Florida port....Whatever you decide, have a blast....just thought, 8 women on an exotic holiday...please PM me when you're leaving....

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,123 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Help us choose a resort

Small AO resort in this area

El Dorado Seaside Suites (EDSS)

Catalonia Royal Tulum (CRT)

Palladium while very nice but the Adult Only section is NOT cheap and the resort is huge

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help us choose a resort

I would second the vote on the Palladium. It is large and there are a lot of options for your price.

If the beach isn't a real deal breaker for you the Secrets Silversands would be a great option for you. Many times Apples Adult only Riviera Maya Special is a great price and you usually get Silversands.

The Valentin Imperial Maya is a great resort with plenty to offer and so is Secrets Capri. March is high season so many of the resort prices are up. You may want to check in Cancun. The Sun Palace - lots of couples though or Secrets the Vine.

Pacific Grove...
Level Contributor
440 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help us choose a resort

Another vote for the Palladium. I use to only stay at smaller resorts until I discovered the Palladium. Excellent value with enough room to spread out during a peak travel time. Even when the resort is at full capacity, there are loungers available at the pool and beach and space to find a quiet place away from the crowd.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help us choose a resort

Skip the Grand Sirenis Mayan Beach.

There's a deal where people can bring their kids for next to nothing.

There were so many babies, strollers, toddlers and meltdowns, I never went anywhere in my 7 days there without experiencing screaming, crying either from kids or the parents.