We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

I had asked this question previously, but recieved limited feedback. Perhaps there are some new readers with advice? I am travelling back to GBP Tulum next February, and was wondering (savings and availabilty-wise) when others have booked and if it is best to wait until the Fall?

Thanks,

George

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

George,

Are you looking for a non-stop flight (I don't know if they are available from your area) and if so is it available this far out? I fly non-stop and it is available 7 months out max. The day it comes out I seem to get the best price although sometimes it is higher than usual so, I wait it out. People can't give really good advice on this because, sometimes it is the luck of the draw. One time on Christmas Day there was a good price for April, but the next year the price was higher than it had been.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,549 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

I typically book between 7-8 weeks before the trip. I follow various Tour Operators and sign up for the emails.

I got a really decent deal Feb 11/13 for a March 31/13 departure date from Wpg to GBP Coba.

Booked it with Westjet Vacations, and was bumped by the Hotel on March 27 (as well as a lot of other people).

The GBP hotels were overbooked on the arrival date for a couple of hundred people.

Make sure that whoever your Tour Operator is, that the guarantee your booking.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

We book few weeks before vacation due to work requirements. GBP-Coba was a fall back choice. Worked out fine. Booked a Dec. vacay to Sandos once and watched the price drop $200 per person just days after we booked late in Nov. Once you book, STOP lookin.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

We always book our Feb/March vacay in September. Usually find the best prices then. I know we could wait closer to the dates, but I don't need the stress. At the end of the day as others have said, book it and forget it, don't second guess. As long as you are comfortable with the price, then go with it.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,574 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

book whenever the price and trip are right

Just booked a direct flight down in April next year

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

If you don't mind changing planes, if you go with United and book into the Tulum it would come to $1486 inc. tax (transfers on your own). Better than the packages offered with Transat, Signature or WestJet. Not much, but a little less.

I didint' know your dates, so just picked Feb. 4 - 11.

Edited: 25 June 2013, 02:47
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

Bumped? First, what happens when you get bumped, and what sort of guarantee is available other than a booking?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

Thanks for the advice all, is really appreciated. We are going Feb 13-23rd (ten days).

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

When a hotel oversells they will have to bump some guests to other resorts. This doesn't happen often, but it does happen and it can happen at any resort. There was quite a problem with a couple weeks at the GBP and some people were bumped and have been fighting for their vouchers for their return week next year. It was all handled very poorly by the Bahia chain (IMO). There is no guarantee of not being bumped, no matter which tour operator you book with or if the tour operator blocks rooms,etc If a hotel is full, it's full and someone will need to be moved. I wouldn't worry about it because it doesn't happen often, but just be aware that it has and can. I myself have never been bumped in 20 plus trips to mexico and in all the years I've been a TA, have only had a couple people bumped. It's not a real common occurrence.

Because you are going for 10 days, your options are more limited. If you will change planes, the cost would be $2040 per person inc. tax. I think that is a couple hundred cheaper than Air Canada Vacations, WestJet Vacations or Sunquest packages. If your dates aren't flexible, I would probably consider booking soon as those 10 night durations are not as likely to go on sale.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to book for February 2014 GBP trip from Canada....

When is the 'best time'...no good answer as there is no rhyme or reason to pricing for vacations.....it just depends.

If there is a school break in your province that week, I would book ASAP. Here in Saskatchewan there has always been a one week break for public schools and Universities in mid February (although many schools are not doing that anymore) and if you don't book months before for certain destinations, (CUN is one) you will be SOL- they sell out months in advance, and the popular hotels quickly book up. February is high high season.

However, that said, we love many places in Mexico and we are open to other destinations too, and have managed to get great deals booking as little as a couple weeks before departure, all winter long. If you want a specific resort or area, you can't afford to be that cavalier, though.