We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheltenham
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

We are looking to go to Tulum area for 2 weeks at the beginning of March 2014 but can't decide whether to go to Dreams or Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an. Can anybody help us with our selection. We have been to Cancun twice and stayed at Moon Palace but find the Hotel far too big now. We know that Bahia Principe is not on the beach but that is not a problem for us.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

If you go to GBP and plan to spend time on the beach, you will become quickly aware how big the resort is. If you want something smaller, stick with Dreams. Remember that Dreams is a family resort and the Sian Ka'an is adults only now.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

Who is your tour operator? Do they buy blocks of rooms?

Can they Guarantee that you won't be bumped by an overbooked resort?

GBP SK did just that March 31, 2013 to several people with Air Canada Vacations. One is trying to use her compensatory travel voucher for next Feb/March 2014 and to no avail.

Not good.

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,565 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

that is one of the reasons I won't book Sian Kaan. Heard of too many people getting bumped and pushed to a sub standard resort and then not being able to rebook their vacation. Just not worth the risk to me.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

We will be travelling from the UK with Kuoni Travel. Bit disturbing to hear about the overbooking at Sian Ka'an. When we were in the Maldives the last 2 years, it was happening there too.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

I am going to dreams in November and after research, I would say it seems the better of the 2

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,924 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

I believe that there was a recent post about large numbers of folks being bumped from the Bahia. You may want to check that out.

Dreams is smaller and a very nice resort.

Cheltenham
Level Contributor
36 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

Thanks for your replies. Think we book Dreams after reading about all the bumping at the SK. Also read a lot of reviews stating that there a lot of mosquitos at SK and I usually get eaten alive by them.

8. Re: Dreams Tulum or Luxury Bahia Principe Sian Ka'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2014, 06:20