We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Hi everyone, Im going to book up to go to the GBP next May with my husband. Im a bit confused as to which hotel we should stay in though. Can anyone advise me?

Thanks!

windsor
Level Contributor
277 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

It depends what you are looking for, the adults only Sian Kaan is fabulous and my personal favorite, anytime we will go without our kids that is where we will stay, but if you want to be close to the beach then that wouldn't work as it is rather far across the highway. The beauty of the trams however is that you can stay anywhere and have easy access to the beaches or other hotel amenities just by hoping on the tram. Plus no matter where you stay you have access to all the other hotels restaurants, pools, lobbies etc. Except for the Sian, you have to stay there to use any of their stuff. Tulum and Akumal are closer to the beach and Coba is behind the Akumal. If being close to the beach is important then I would say the Tulum, but honestly IMO you cant go wrong with whichever you choose, they are all wonderful, also Tulum has a new section of villas but I don't know what there numbers are and if they are only for golden or privilege members.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Most say 'the cheapest section' as you get to use the other facilities (except Sian Kaan adults only)

Have you read the Section differences over in Top Questions

Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Thanks for your replies folks. I was looking at first choice in the uk and they book you into the Akumal. I think being near the ocean is a factor for me so would prefer one there.

We've never been to Mexico before, usually go to Spain but fancied a bit of luxury for once.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

I enjoyed the Akumal bldgs right on the water but you need the golden upgrade

Otherwise you will be very close (a few minutes) from the ocean

Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Thank you for your help I appreciate it :)

Edited: 07 July 2013, 17:24
East Molesey...
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Hi! We have been twice & IMHO Tulum is the nicest part. However like the other say you can mix and match as much as you like! Just hop on on of the little buses!!

The beach at the Tulum is lovely but the pools are better (IMHO). We emailed te hotel before we went as wanted to be in the Tulum hotel and we got our request. We were also upgraded which was obviously lovely!!

The Dolphins are also in the Tulum hotel which we used to like going for a little walk to go and see. Not sure if the set up is still the same but when we went it was just opening so we could stand and watch the trainers etc!! Was lovely to watch.

GBP is a great resort and we have loved both trips!! You will have a fab time in any of them!!

Another tip.... Book your a la carte restaurants as soon as you get there to avoid disappointment! The Japanese is a must with the show table!!

Have a great time!! :-)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Thank you!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

We have stayed in Tulum many times and love that section. We would spend a lot of time in the Akumal section as well for the atmosphere and a quieter section of the beach just the escape it all.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

Akumal it is then :)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel is the best one to stay at?

The quieter part in Akumal is near the snack bar close to the diamond club section. The area is not for swimming but to relax with hardly anyone else around.