We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations needed ??

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
504 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
vaccinations needed ??

My local pharmacist has advised me to take Hep A and typhoid jabs for our holiday to Cancun, but I don't think they are necessary as we are going to a resort (GS).

any other UK passengers been advised the same and what does everyone else think ?

Thanks

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,633 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vaccinations needed ??

I got those a few years ago for general protection. Hep A can be acquired even at home. It is a judgment call on your part.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,676 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vaccinations needed ??

There are no required vaccinations for travel to Mexico.

However, Hepatitis A is endemic in Mexico. It's always around. It's easily transmitted through contaminated food and water. Or, people not washing their hands well after using the restroom. Even though your own personal hygiene might be meticulous, you are only as safe as the hygiene practices of the people preparing and serving your food.

Not to mention if you're at an all inclusive, all the people touching the utensils at the buffet.

Hepatitis A vaccine is safe and effective. Lasts at least 20 years, probably longer. There is really no down side to getting vaccinated. Other than the pain of the jab, which is slight.

I keep my typhoid vaccine up to date, but, we tend to travel further off the beaten path.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,441 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vaccinations needed ??

My doctor advised Hep A but not typhoid.

Thorold
Level Contributor
783 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vaccinations needed ??

thinking I would listen to my Dr's advice....not a bunch of people on a travel forum (trying to give good advice) If you can't trust you doctors advice...time to find a new one

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vaccinations needed ??

I think that your Dr. is likely to err on the side of caution.

Jean has a great point that Hep A is good to have no matter what and lasts so long.

We've been all over the Yucatan and other parts of Mexico and have never gotten sick (we rec'd Hep A shot before going to India 2 yrs ago) - and I am that girl that is getting fish tacos off a cart on the side of the road :)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,873 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: vaccinations needed ??

Our travel clinic / doctors recommended HepA/ Tetanus but for resorts, not Ty[hoid

Here is what we have for Canada traveling to MX

phac-aspc.gc.ca/tmp-pmv/…

London, UK
Level Contributor
504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vaccinations needed ??

Thanks all, better safe than sorry I think!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,539 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vaccinations needed ??

I was going to mention the tetanus shot also. If you haven't had one in 10 years, you need a booster, even if you weren't traveling.

Ashford, United...
Level Contributor
113 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vaccinations needed ??

We are in the UK and have had a Hep A and Typhoid combination jab along with a Tetanus, Diphtheria and Polo combination so only two jabs in total. We had to go back and have booster for the Hep A leaving at least six months inbetween but now have coverage for 20 years. The Tetanus combo lasts for 10 years. This was all done by our local Travel Clinic on the advise of our GP.

London, UK
Level Contributor
504 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vaccinations needed ??

exactly what we have been advised, but fortunately we are all uptodate so don't need anything.