We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby at Gbp

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
South England
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Baby at Gbp

Hi

We are going to the Gbp akumal in October taking the children including a 10 month old and 5 year old.

Does anyone know the conditions of the cots in the resort or should we take our own?

What time would you arrange for meals with the little ones, so that they can see the entertainment?

Also does anybody have any tips for infants at Gbp, other than don't bring them :-)

Thank you in advance already.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,410 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby at Gbp

I have not been to this resort but have travelled with my daughter since she was 6 months old (now 22). Take a stroller with a top for shade (not sure what you would call it in UK). Try to keep the kids on their regular schedules. I know this is hard with the time changes. They will get tired in the heat so naps are very necessary. Don't over schedule. Many resorts have the shows late so this may be too much for little people. I don't know the type of cribs they have at GB but I have seen them at other resorts and they don't look too sturdy. If possible I would bring one. There is a recent post on this and the person from UK found a compact pak n play to bring.

Most importantly take lots of pics and have fun. It is more work with kids but I don't regret traveling with my daughter one bit. She LOVES to travel.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
475 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby at Gbp

Had a friend travel there last month for her honeymoon with her 10 month old and as much as you don't want to hear it she said NEVER again..So humid she had to stay in the room the whole time and it never did cool down..Wanted to come home day 3 but was stuck for a horrible 10 more days.Be sure to take all the meds you would need for a child as they are twice as costly..Her baby ran a fever the whole time..As much as Iove this resort it is not a good one for kids..She waited 30-40 minutes for a highchair and many waiters cringed and pretended not to see them upon entry..Was given a playpen for the baby not a crib so she opted to have baby in their bed rather than on the floor with the roaches :( Make the best of your trip as it is booked but be prepared for the worst..They do have a new water park which your older one will love but it's the baby that will suffer on this trip.Join the Bahia Lover's ..FB site and ask real Bahia Lover's for their recent experiences..TIP for keeping room cooler is to leave the closet door open as the AC air circularion is enclosed within it..also to keep fridge colder prop open the cabinet door.

Leeds
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby at Gbp

If you can manage to take a travel cot with you and don't mind lugging it around, I always used to take ours with us down to the pool area during the day for our babies to play... seemed a far better way than them to spend their time in their buggies... You can always put up a parasol too for the shade, and a towel covering part of it.

It may be too late too, but I always booked an extra seat on the plane and used a forward facing car seat. Worth its weight in gold as I could relax on the plane and baby always slept as they did in the car...

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby at Gbp

I've traveled with all 3 of my kids since 5 months old each and it is totally fine. Perfect at that age since they aren't running around yet:) I always use the cribs at the resort and they are fine. Don't bother hauling your own. A medium sized stroller is ideal if it folds up nice so you can use the busses and colectivos. Haviing a top shade and a small under carriage is very helpful. I always buy my diapers, wipes, formula there so I don't have to haul it all down. I make sure to have a good hat and keep it wet so the baby stays cool. Good to bring all the medication you may need and don't forget to use the kids club for your 5 year old. My kids loved them. Lots of walks with the baby will get them to nap so you can read by the pool.

Enjoy:)

Montreal
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby at Gbp

We are at GBP now (Coba) and I can confirm there are TONS of babies under a year. Can't tell you what's their sleeping arrangements but a couple of pointers:

- the sun is pretty strong so have a stroller with a top for shade

- it is humid, yes, but that's true for all the carribeans. Not much you can do. Keep the little one in the water

- I saw multiple parents with a round floating device where you put the little one inside. His feet are in the water but his waste and up are out. Great to keep your baby refreshed.

- I haven't seen a single cockroach or nasty bug (even though it wouldn't be a biggy, you are down south...).

- TONS of mosquitoes. Not sure what you can do for baby as I doubt he can put DEET. Maybe a mosquito net around his stroller?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby at Gbp

We went to Grand Sirenis with my 3 yr old nephew and 9 mos old nephew last November. Even though it was a much different vacation than it was without children, it took on a whole new dynamic and we enjoyed watching the boys discover the ocean, the sea life and had a great time playing in the pools together.

My Sister brought some child-friendly mosquito repellent, but we didn't have a problem with them in November, so hopefully October will be the same for you. It is the jungle so imagine mosquitos are year around with some months worse than others.

She also brought a stroller with a shade so she could park it (in a cool spot) near the pool for afternoon naps for the baby. For the 3 year old, he would knock out in the shade on a lounger or on the inflatable raft (we brought this with us) that was placed on the cement or grass, with a pool towel. This allowed the adults a little down time in the pool, with the boys snoozing withing sight a few yards away.

Grand Sirenis was terrific about making purees for the 9 mo old at all the meals, and we would stop by the smoothy shop and they would whip up a fruit drink for him. My Sister brought breakfast MOOSH for him to have in the mornings and some bottled food for when he was fussy.

We call my 3 yr old nephew the escape artist because he has been known to venture out on his own. I brought rubber door stoppers for my Sister to put down on the inside of the door that he could not remove to get out - these worked GREAT!

My Sister just chimed in "bring more diapers than you think you will need" she says.

If the hotel has a photographer, you may consider some nice morning beach pics to capture the memory.

Have a terrific family vacation.

South England
Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby at Gbp

Thanks for all your comments, all are valid and taken on board.

8. Re: Baby at Gbp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 05:18