We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

I was trying to get a quote for two adults and three kids and they basically said we'd need to book two rooms because rooms in Mexico aren't that big. That puts the price way out of our reach. Any advice?

michigan
Level Contributor
448 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

I don't think the Bahia rooms are really any smaller than others you would find around the Caribbean, in Punta Cana for example. The Coba has all junior suites, which have a small sitting area.

That said, five in a room would be a somewhat cramped, but depending on the age of the children, probably do-able. I would definitely check on the possibility of adding a cot to a two bed room.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

I don't think size has anything to do with it, it's to do with their occupancy rules. Many (most?) resorts only allow a maximum of four people to a room - two adults and two children OR one adult and three children OR three adults. Many consider children of 14 and up to be "adult", so even families with only two children face the same dilemma as you (i.e. have to get two rooms). Been there myself!

I'm not sure which forum it's on but someone put together a list of resorts that allow FIVE to a room on the Top Questions list (which may not be visible if you're on a mobile device). I'll do some hunting around for you and come back with more info.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,425 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Yay me - I found it straight away!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150812-i23-k40938…

This list is a bit old but at least it gives you a place to start.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

I remember seeing photos of one of the big hotels being built. The rooms were prefabbed off site and trucked in and lifted into place. Maybe room size was determined on how big a module could fit on a semi. I do know that rooms in Mexico City hotels tend to be small, even in the older hotels so maybe it is a custom.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

How old are you children OP? Must admit the thought of 5 in one room for two weeks doesn't do it for me, but appreciate price increase for two rooms is major !!!

Are they no family rooms in the resort?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Thanks everyone. My eldest will be 14 next year and then there's an 11 year old and my lads only 4.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Thanks for the link, that was really helpful.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Technically, you have 3 adults and 2 children as your 14 year old is considered an adult. Regardless, the Bahia does not allow 5 people (of any age) to stay in one room. One idea is you might look into the Barcelo Maya Palace. Their jr. suites do take 5.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 18:10
St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,276 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

Grand Palladium will also allow 5 in their junior suites. Try White Sand or Riviera section as the rooms are slightly bigger.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 23:36
northeast
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are the rooms so small in the Gran Bahia Principe?

We have a 13 yrs & 11 yrs , we have paid for two rooms too . The price did jump up but worth it for the bit of quiet. ;)