We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

whats the best way to make phone calls from the mexico to the uk.

I don't want a big mobile phone bill.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Are you taking a tab or ipad? If so, you can download Skype and video call for free anywhere where there is wifi. Just make sure the recipient has it too on a tab or computer or whatever. You may also be able to use on a smart phone? We Skype my grandparents in Turkey weekly. Its brilliant.

stockport
Level Contributor
86 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

If you have a iPhone or iPad then FaceTime is free over wifi

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,997 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Yeah, Skype. It runs on phones, tablets, laptops, etc of any brand, and can make calls to regular phones for a few cents per minute. Or free if the recipient is running Skype as well, but to save a few cents, why bother?

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,246 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

If the above suggestions don't work for you I will tell you my backwards way of keeping in touch. We add international calling to the cell phone of the person that stays home for $7 per month which is prorated. When we arrive at the resort we email the person from a computer at the resort with our room number. They call the hotel and are connected to our room. The resort charges nothing for this and the cell phone provider charges 5 cents per minute.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Hi,

I'm going to buy a phone card from our hotel & use the payphone in the lobby to phone home, as I refuse to pay the extortionate prices Vodafone want to charge me. Think the card costs about 200 pesos if that's any help & if they're anything like the ones we've used in Orlando, they're very easy to use & will give you a balance of what amount you have left on them :)

Ang

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
856 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Darlene66 has it right. Most hotels do not charge you for local calls, and therefore an incoming call is considered local. Again add the feature or plan to the home phone service and just arrange a time to be in your hotel room to receive the calls.

This was my solution when I went to Cuba and my cell phone didn't work. Managed to get on the internet(pretty spotty in Cuba) to tell my wife the hotel phone number and my room number and we picked a time that I would wait for her call in my room. Worked like a charm.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

There are several voice-over-IP solutions (VOIP) that can work very inexpensively. Skype is probably the simplest. Load the app on your phone, tablet, or laptop. If you want to call phone numbers you'll need to purchase some "SkypeOut" credit. Otherwise, the person you're hoping to call will also need Skype.

You can also sign up for Google Voice and make inexpensive calls from your computer to phone numbers. If you want to use your mobile phone, you can install the free Talkatone app to call using Google Voice. GV actually just connects phones over the existing land and mobile phone networks, so without an additional solution, you won't be able to use GV from a mobile handset without paying mobile fees.

My personal simplest solution is to purchase a cheap TelCel Amigo SIM and pop it in my unlocked mobile phone. If anyone really needs to phone me, I make sure they have that number for when I'm in Mexico (you can text your number to those people once you have it). Be aware that in Mexico the calling party pays the mobile fees, and that includes anyone calling you from outside the country. Otherwise, it's just fine for making outgoing calls. This region has much better cellular service than my home in the US, so signal quality is rarely an issue.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
173 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Other than what has already been told, you can subscribe a Skype monthly plan to call landlines or mobile phones. Subscriptions for the UK are really cheap, you can get 2 hours for less than 1 pound: http://www.skype.com/en/rates/

Of course, you would need free wi-fi on your hotel and a computer/tablet/smartphone to access Skype.

If you choose to do this don't forget to cancel your subscription when you come back!

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

Others have said the Wifi in lots of the areas of their resort was too slow for skype. I just bought a prepaid long distance card , and used the payphone in the lobby. Calling out from your room is expensive.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best way to make phone calls from mexico to great britain

If you have an andriod phone (not sure if you can get it for iPhone as don't own one) then download the VIBER App on your phone and all other andriod phones you want to call whilst away. It will scan you contacts to see other Viber users and you can choose to connect via that or your normal service. The service is free and I've used it successfully on numerous occasions.