We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So is there hurricanes heading in?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stockport
Level Contributor
276 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
So is there hurricanes heading in?

So are Ingrid and the other one on the horizon going to hit around akumal? Been through Gustav and Ike back in 2008 in Cuba but don't fancy it again? Setting off in 11 days!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

You gotta look at a map. Ingrid is supposed to hit land on Monday around Tampico. That is about 700 miles from Akumal. Besides...once a hurricane hits land it rapidly dissipates. I'm presuming the other one is tropical storm Manuel. Ahem...that is in the Pacific Ocean.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

It is too early for a trip eleven days out.

Just monitor nhc.noaa.gov or your preferred weather site that has tropical weather info.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 21:15
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

Ingrid actually formed as a deression over the Caribbean and near Akumal last weekend - I was just leaving and no one had advance notice

Ingrid is moving AWAY from Akumal so no need to worry

We have had 5 depressions that formed in this area since late May

Best to read the Hurricane sites

Trey this one (more OVER IN Top Questions)

www.wunderground.com/hurricane/…

Edited: 15 September 2013, 21:47
Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

The latest news. Where they have hit there is damage but as you can see. along way from Akumal. The link is CNN so take the news with a grain of salt as always. Maybe follow up on reliable media. cnn.com/2013/…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,046 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

I have used the weatherunderground site for years, vancouver. Everyone has their own opinion. I also look at the Mexican National site, Conagua.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

Look at he National Hurricane Center. That is what the resorts use. I got a report from someone there today. Beautiful day. No sign of a hurricane.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

Vancouver, if there was no advance notice, it is because people looked east or just relied upon feelings. The NHC did provide warning that it might develop.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

NHC began 'watching ' this on Sept 10 and officially recognized it as a tropical depression 12Sept. It became a tropical storm on 13Sep and a hurricane on 14Sept - very fast

Not much notice

The storms that form off of Africa are tracked with more advance notice

Edited: 16 September 2013, 01:22
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,046 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

Agree, Vancouver. Little notice.

"Vancouver, if there was no advance notice, it is because people looked east or just relied upon feelings" Almost precisely what a Cozumel resident , Dan Kom, wisely had said in an earlier post :

tripadvisor.com/…52846473

As I have mentioned also, the locals rely more on past experience and intuition than on weather sites. And are often more accurate.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,002 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So is there hurricanes heading in?

Post #3. Your words are as follows:

" I was just leaving and no one had advance notice"

I read that as no advance notice. Not "little."

Many of us are aware that a system that develops near the Yucatan provides less warning than one that forms much further away. I recently told someone that a system could not even be in the offing when they arrive yet could develop and impact them even during a typical one week stay.

If people want to use the local taco stand vendor for their weather guidance they can. But there are state of the art data sources available to anyone with internet access. Why not use it to stay informed?

If people choose to not monitor a suitable weather website on vacation, so be it. Just don't claim that there was no advance notice.