We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debit Card Fraud

Dundee
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Topic
Debit Card Fraud

2 days ago someone took £766 from my bank account.

5 transactions all from Mexico.

Now I have been home from the 27th of August and it appears my card has been cloned and used with a bogus signature.......No pin numbers involved.

I only used my debit card twice in Mexico,first time was at the main concourse at Chichen Itza second time at the Hacienda at the GBP.

Half an hour on the phone this afternoon to the bank I had all my money credited back to my account.

This is the only time this has happened to me and I thought I was being carefull..

Edited: 18 September 2013, 15:33
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Debit Card Fraud

Glad your money was quickly restored

I try to use those in the banks or those in the larger stores that have a associated bank (e.g. HSBC, Scotia, Bancomer)

I change my PIN # when I return and luckily have not had any issues in 10 years of traveling

My VISA card has been compromised a few times but at home

I also use a metal wallet so cards cannot be scanned

Dundee
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Debit Card Fraud

I changed my pin too,but these transactions were signed for,no pin number involved.So changing pin number didn't help in this instance.

The transactions were at...5TA AVENIDA ES/ and at CALLE 28 NORTE/

Anyone recognise these locations,just wondering if they belong to the area.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,516 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debit Card Fraud

Really glad you got this sorted out quickly and your money restored ..... but it definitely underscores the advisability of keeping your vacation/travel account SEPARATE from the rest of your money. It won't stop this sort of thing from happening (unfortunately) but at least it minimizes the damage and the impact it has on your day-to-day finances.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,066 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debit Card Fraud

Llisa is right. Go to your bank and get another card that is just used for travel. Only have enough in it for your trip or reduce the amount to near zero when you get home.

Have your other card as a backup.

5. Re: Debit Card Fraud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 September 2013, 22:27
Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debit Card Fraud

The address you provide sounds like Playa Del Carmen , Fifth Ave and 28th street , a tourist area .

ohio
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debit Card Fraud

This happened to a friend of mine and myself in Playa at Walmart back in 2010. Since then, I only use cash unless I am dealing with Apple Vacations for our tours. Our bank does have a card we can get just for

our vacations, but we just pay cash so there is no problems to solve. We like to make it easy.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,365 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debit Card Fraud

I agree, takeme2Coz. I have always limited use of my cards in Mexico. I do use bank ATMs for all my cash needs.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,481 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Debit Card Fraud

And phone you bank and let them know when you will be in MX and not

Ayr, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debit Card Fraud

Getting a new debit card after each holiday? That sounds like a total palava.

I take a credit card for emergencies, tell my card provider of my exact dates of travel and check all transactions when I get home. What's the point of changing PIN? Your card has either been compromised or it hasn't. Changing the PIN won't make any difference. If someone has access to your card and PIN they could change it themselves!