We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

Charlottetown...
Level Contributor
139 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

What is with some people? Don't they understand that there are bugs in the jungle? Are there actually people out there that don't understand this? It reminds me of a review I read some time ago complaining about the beach being 'slanty' and the ocean being too salty. If they got rid of all bugs those same people would complain about how they hate insect spray and how bad it is for the environment! How about staying in a hotel in a concrete jungle instead?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

When we were walking about Akumal a few weeks ago, the jungle frogs/ crickets (bugs) , made a RACKET loud enough, you had to almost shout

We had a teenager at ABR that loved the bugs, terminte nests.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

yes of course. I live in South Carolina. Lots of giant bugs, alligators snakes. Riviera Maya is a piece of cake

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,135 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

I am not freaked out by the thought of bugs, but admit to ignorance about how many one might encounter.. we really don't have bug issues where I live.. so,, Mexico very buggy, lol ok,, I have the OFF purchased at Walmart, but its only 15% Deet.. I have now read that won't be enough in Akumal?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,670 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

Family Off (you can buy down there) is 20%

I buy Deeps Wood Off - 25% in Vancouver

Just re-apply every few hours -

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

Years ago we went to Carlos 'n Charlies in Cozumel (yeah, yeah, I know...). At one point the waitress tossed a large rubber cockroach on the table to freak us out. My wife, who'd lived in Galveston for years, just whacked it with her hand and swept it off the table without even a break in the conversation. Ended up freaking out the waitress.

Warm, humid places have bugs.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

I am really surprised by the people that write a bad reivew for Sian Ka'an because of bugs. Umm, hello, the hotel is literally cut out of the jungle. I haven't even been there yet but I just can't imagine writing a bad review for that reason.

Witham, Essex, UK
Level Contributor
159 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

Are you for real? There ain't no bugs in Mexico!

It actually shocked me when I went to EDR Casitas, I saw no bugs at all, just a crab and an alligator. I think it's weirder there weren't any bugs xxx

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

What surprises me with reviews complaining about bugs and wildlife is that people must not research their trips. They do go on TA as they post reviews, but if they read forums and reviews before they go they would be aware of the surroundings.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

At this time of year I love to fall asleep to the sound of crickets. I love to hear the Cicadas. I often see a small lizard in and around hotel rooms. They get rid of nuisance bugs. Iguanas remind me of the "squirrels" of LA so to speak.

Once had dinner in a restaurant in Playa, very nice, in the patio area. My guest, new to the Mex. was a little surprised to see a huge cockroach land on the table and casually walk across it. No, not wonderful, but you ARE in the jungle. Small problems flicked away :) lots of laughs.

Of course I've eaten "Mayan" dishes that include bugs...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
98 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: OK. So There are Bugs in the Jungle.

NJLynn: Exactly my thoughts! Where were they when it was time to get informed...beforehand!? I just ignore any review that complain about something you could easily find out on TA or any other website. I went to GBPSK last year and it is easy to know it is in the jungle, not on the beach, you have to take some kind of trolley, there are sand whales at the beach, etc. A travel agent once told me she has some customers that don't even know in which country there are travelling to. I mean, if you didn't research some basics things, you have no right to complain IMHO.

Going back to SK in 16 days.