We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Towel Game Returns

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
The Towel Game Returns

Got into it with a fellow guest at the quiet pool in Sian Kaan yesterday. I moved an umbrella from between a couple of chairs that were not occupied, to between our chairs a dozen or so feet away. There were resort towels on the chairs, but no personal possessions left with the chairs. I didn't feel I did anything wrong because there are signs all over the resort stating that leaving your towel to reserve space on the beach is considered unacceptable by the resort management. When this guy and his lady showed up and asked me if I took the umbrella, I said i had, and he stated he was going to take it back. I said no and we briefly argued over whether the practice of reserving with your towel was acceptable. He backed down. It wasn't a loud argument' however being at the quiet pool, suddenly I felt like all eyes were on me and judging me for my actions. Did I do the right thing? Was I wrong in my position?

Havre St. Pierre...
Level Contributor
745 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Towel Game Returns

I feel you are right, but that most people would like to have the guts to act like you did, but just don't.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
62 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Towel Game Returns

I think you're right too. I would have done exactly the same thing. It will be interesting to see what happens when myself and my husband are there in May. Neither of us will tolerate it and will not be pushed around either.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
213 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Towel Game Returns

Buddy. - im here now- u were right- a lot here will just go and leave towels because they dont have to hand them in- drives me nuts because they left three hrs dont come back and people could have used the premium spot - Go for it

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Towel Game Returns

Barriguy, you are right. You did the right thing. And you look like you could put a hurtin' on the other guy. I'd let you keep the umbrella!! B

Grand Rapids, Mi
Level Contributor
154 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Towel Game Returns

I really wish all resorts would adhere to towel holding policies. If everyone would just get chairs/umbrellas when they arrive, life would be simple while on vacation! We do not put our towels down until we are ready to hit the beach. We do leave our bags, towels, and books to snorkel, go eat or go back to the room for something. That is acceptable. This GAME will never be put to an end! As chaton2411 said KUDOS to you for having the guts to take something that was not being used at the time.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Towel Game Returns

No harm done.

This is my experiences while going to Cuba and the Dominican Republic:

It's the middle of the day and you are laying on your lounge chair(pool or beach) with many more empty chairs around you. A group of fat bald guys with hair on their backs and speedos 2 sizes too small that speak a different language than myself then SURROUND me and yell over me with there smokes in there face because they WANT MY SPOT. I do my best to last about 30 -45 minutes.

The ones that really bother me are the ones that stack a few chairs and put one towel on or a book.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Towel Game Returns

Or I love the ones that now put a tank top or t-shirt on the night before . It is ridiculous.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Towel Game Returns

Personally, I would have done the same thing....it's one thing to think you can reserve loungers with towels, but an umbrella, too? Pfftht!

The umbrellas can move around, therefore, if there is no one sitting there, and no personal posessions- then it's ok to go ahead and move them....that's my view. If there had been someone's stuff there, I likely would not have, but not because it is wrong, because I wouldn't want a confrontation.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 16:59
Thorold
Level Contributor
786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Towel Game Returns

when did they come back?? 20 minutes or 2 hours later....shouldn't loose your seat if you leave to grab your camera up in the room or go to the bathroom and are gone less than a hour. Depending where your room is and say you stop for a drink to bring back to your chair and maybe chat a little along the way, it can easily take 45-60 minutes

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
859 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Towel Game Returns

Sandycracks,

I agree to the point that you should be able to hold your spot while you go for a swim or get a drink at the bar. This wasn't that. They were gone long enough for us to swim for 20 minutes and then sit in the chairs for 20 more. My guess is that they came down from their hotel room and placed towels on the chairs on their way to breakfast.

Thank you everyone, I feel better to have you vote of confidence. I felt my decision was right but sometimes you second guess yourself.