We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,773 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Was just joking about my older kids ( 23 yr olds) slipping a drink to their younger sibling, my dd who is 17 but of course looks 21.. so just wondering do the resorts give under 18 yr olds different color wrist bands so they don't get served drinks? I mean no one carrys id to the pool, and she definately can pass for older.. I am hoping there is some way other then me constantly sniffing her drink to make sure she doesn't get served.. Now. don't get me wrong, we allow her a glass of wine at Christmas and special occaissons, but that is a far cry from unlimited access to bars.

Taverna Akumal
££ - £££, Italian, Bar, Pizza
Turtle Bay Bakery & Cafe
££ - £££, Mexican, American, Cafe
Loncheria Akumalito
£, Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Yes, they get a white band.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,948 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

most if not all resorts will give young uns a different band colour

Whether they pay attention to it is a different ?

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,773 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Yes , I had thought of that VSD.. my daughter is unfortunately rather attractive, tall , slim and blonde,, ( gets it from her father. lol ) so yes , it has occurred to me that some may "indulge" her .. but we do plan on keeping an eye on her,, and I won't freak out over one pina colada.. but I just hope there is some way of making it obvious to folks that she is underage and not to over serve.. ( a concept I take it bartenders at AIs seem not to understand from what I am learning, after all , no one is driving home.. ) . We will take responsibilty for her of course, but I can't be beside her constantly..

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
278 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

kids do get a different color, but my 11 year old came back with a drink and said, "my drink tastes funny", I sampled it and said, "mommy will keep this one";)

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Yes they do at the Palladium and the bartenders enforce the 18 yr old legal drinking age. That is not to say that the over 18s won't give a drink to the under 18s.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,144 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

I had my 16 year old daughter wearing an under 18 bracelet served alcoholic drinks at the Palladium, but it was not the norm and she did look older than 16. When our kids were teens we found most bartenders adhered to the 18+ law.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

In Cancun my 16 year old Sister was not questioned by the bartenders when she ordered alcoholic drinks. My Mom and I kept a close eye on her consumption, which amounted to 1 Miami Vice in the afternoon (she took a couple sips, then let it sit until it was too warm to drink) and one in the evening which she would consume about half. She is now 25 and consumes about the same when we are on vacation..lol. However, we did notice some teens at the resort that were out of control and parents were too drunk to notice and this was unnerving on many levels.

You may consider addressing the Jeffe bartendar at the location that you and your family are spending your time, tell him/her that your daughter is not to be served alcohol and ask him/her to let the other bartenders on staff know as well. Seal the deal with a tip.

We also travel with walkie talkies. When my Sister was young and my Mom and I would go up to the room after dinner, she would stay in the lobby and chat it up with her new teen friends, with the walkie talkie we could check in on her :)

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

I have seen many bartenders serve under aged lots of times. Some bartenders are suprised why as adults would order a drink without alchol. The main thing you will have to do is to talk to her ahead of time, and trust your daughter to follow your desires.

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,935 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

Yes, they do get a different colored wrist band. We went with my kids 15 and 19 one year. There was a sign in the hotel about rules and accepted behaviors as this was during spring break season and we stayed in Cancun. I was surprised to learn that the drinking age was 16.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do minors get different color wrist bands..?

I understood the drinking age is 18, not 16.