We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Can someone please tell me where the Playa Caribe condos are on it? And the best place to enter the water from there?

Thanks so much!

-Surf:)

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,567 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

The best entry point we've found is in front of La Mirage. Walk out to the beach in front of PC and go to the left, down the beach, about a three minute walk, depending on how many sea beans you discover LOL.

As for the map, try to find the odd-shaped pool at Playa Caribe. That's the best way. Also, Midway Foods is across the road from PC.

We'll see you there at PC and over on LG. (Soy Tomas).

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

where could I find this map?

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

The satelite photo from Loco Gringo scrolls to navigate and Clicks to extend the views as well . Scroll and click to the far right , Playa Caribe is mid bay and we took the time to do as Mal Perro suggests and entered by the mirage condos , almost every time . There are two spots that are coral but look like exposed rocks , often with a resting seabird straight out from La Mirage . Use these as a target line and you will have the large dark area in the photo called the coral garden on the map , to your right . Explore along that fairly well defined feature and you will naturally head to the left to stay behind the reef . The water gets extremely shallow just inside the reef and so maintaining a depth of three to four feet will naturally guide you across the bay toward the La Sirena condos . If conditions allow you can go back as you came and work around the coral mound and along the south side , again if wave action allows for your comfort level that day . On really calm days you can see the well defined leading edge of this spine like coral pile that is the large up raised arms of some old elkhorn coral that couldn't be designed as a ship's hull breaker any better if you tried .

locogringo.com/maps/…akumal-satellite.html

This normal aerial is also navigable with single arrows for the next shot and double arrows to the ends . Use the double arrows to the left/south to see some beautiful Sian Kaan territory .

locogringo.com/maps/tour/half-moon-bay-2.html

Here's a related thread .

tripadvisor.ca/…51517350

The top of the beach at Playa Caribe is probably five feet higher than the water surface and the pool deck another five feet higher . With that height advantage you can often see turtles rising to breathe and rays swimming by and even some very large Parrotfish usually in groups , very nice .

randren the map is in the link and also in the top questions firtst one , maps . That whole thread is full of great stuff .

Edited: 17 October 2013, 14:35
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Excellent, thank you again!

-Surf:)

Paris, France
Level Contributor
173 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

@randren:

I bookmarked a great thread from LocoGringo.

I got it from Top Questions > Maps, research, activities > Maps. Here it is: forums.locogringo.com/forums/tm.asp?m=303040

PS This is like the 10th time I am trying to post this and always get an error page, my excuses if it has been posted twice (or more)

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
768 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

merci beaucoup.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Sometimes Trip Advisor does not like posts with LG Links

Good for you to keep trying

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Forgot to put my 1 week snorkel experience here

We stayed at La Joya in Half Moon Bay - about in the middle - in late November

Map here http://www.sac-be.com/maps_travel.shtml (click on the Akumal map)

A cold front (norte) had just blown in and Cancun, Isla, Coz was getting a lot of wind and colder temps.

Funny thing - no wind at Akumal - Half Moon Bay was sooo flat albeit temps were cooler

Hardly any breakers way out at the far reef

I wear dive boots with my flippers so easier to enter between La Joya and La Lunita over the rocks but you still need to go slow - then put on my flippers when I could float

I snorkeled more in the north half where I found more coral and near the outside breakers - even went to the other side where it dropped off to see a few divers

Always wore my snorkel vest

Loves of fish schools, some smaller transient turtles, lots of squid, all types of soft/hard snorkel, some rays (but no eagle rays) - great u/w photos

On my way back one day, saw someone had placed large concrete squares (2 x 2ft) in front of La Joya for entering (and exiting if you can see them)

Never more than 6-8 people in the whole bay at one time

Have fun

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

wiki map of HBM is here

wikimapia.org/…b

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: regarding the excellent snorkle map of HMB

Here is a resurrected snorkel map for Half Moon Bay

…photobucket.com/user/…hmbmap.jpg.html

And a great writeup

solmayarentals.com/snorkel-halfmoonbay-akuma…

Wiki map

wikimapia.org/…b

Unless very calm, I will NOT swim in the centre of the bay away from shore due to possible riptides

Instead I will go out between La Lunita and La Joya (Turtle City section) where the waves are much less (easier to get in)

There are also large concrete stepping stones in front of La Joya that I found one day coming in

Have fun