We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casa Gatos

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Casa Gatos

I'm very familiar with Akumal and the surrounding areas. However, I've not been back since the first hurricane of '05. Does anyone know if the area has recovered? Also, has anyone stayed in the Casa Gatos units lately. I've booked one of the units there. I'm traveling with a lifetime friend (both females) and we are leaving husbands and children behind for a few days. Do you feel that this is a fairly safe place to stay?

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
497 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casa Gatos

Isn't that Spanish for cathouse?

All-inclusive would probably cost a fortune.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casa Gatos

That's great! I looked it up and it does mean cat or tomcat. Not sure what to think about that!

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casa Gatos

I'm also interested in hearing about Casa Gatos. We have booked it for next winter. Any info would be most appreciated---grill? did you ever hire anyone to cook a dinner? easy access to HMB and YalKu? Thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casa Gatos

We've made numerous trips to the Akumal area. Only once did we have a cook. He came with the rental of a cabana in Tankha. We did find that having the hired cook meant that we had to be at the house for all three meals. We didn't like being on a schedule every day. Made it really hard to plan side trips. We finally just ended up eating lunch out anyway, which meant we really paid twice for those meals.

Now we usually cook breakfast at the house we are renting; pack picnic style lunchs and snacks and then eat dinner out each night. It's a great way to save money, yet not spend the whole time cooking and cleaning. It also allows us to try local dishes and visit with other vacationers.

I assume that you have seen pictures of Casa Gatos. If not, let me know and I'll direct you to a website.

I'll also try to remember to let you know how our visit goes in September.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casa Gatos

Thanks for the response! Yes, I have seen pictures and it looks very nice. We've also stayed in the area many times and I agree about a full time cook. I have heard that people have hired one for a special dinner,typical regional food,etc. Much of the time I think we'll do like you---breakfast at the condo, snacks for out and about, then dinner out. I'll really be interested in how you enjoy your stay. We're going for three weeks next winter and just couldn't pass up the good price! Thanks again!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casa Gatos

Three weeks? That sounds great and your right this place is priced right.

Des Moines, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Casa Gatos

My husband and I stayed at Casa Gatos this past March and absolutely loved it. Even though the property isn't beachfront, the ocean is literally a 2-3 minute walk a way. The beautiful lagoon (great for snorkeling) is about the same distance.

There are only three units on the property and we stayed in the "studio" unit on the second floor. We found it to be very spacious and very clean. We had a King size bed (very hard) as well as a twin. The kitchen was large and had everything you'd need to create a meal, including pots and pans, silverware, utensil, cutting boards, etc. A full size fridge/freezer and bottled water dispenser were also bonuses.

In addition to the well-kept grounds, including a beautiful courtyard with seating and a peaceful fountain, we had our own private balcony with thatched roof and chairs.

The other two units looked great too. We felt very safe there as we were able to park our rental car nearby and the property was gated.

We booked our room through Akumal Direct and they have a great website (akumaldirect.com) with lots of photos and a variety of other properties for rent in Akumal. The website is also packed full of great information about the town and all of the business and services avaiable.

Beacause Akumal Direct manages Luna Azul too (hotel located on Half Moon Bay) we were able to use it's beachfront and chairs everyday.

You're making a great choice by staying at Casa Gatos. I hope you and your friend have a great time.

Grand Rapids, MI
Level Contributor
25 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casa Gatos

Thanks for the nice report! Yes, three weeks there this next winter. Lucky us. So, it's always good to hear information about this particular rental. Do you remember if there was a grill you could use? Beach towels? Packing for three weeks, with all our snorkel stuff, is going to be interesting! Again, thanks!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casa Gatos

Thanks for letting me know about your visit. We booked through Akumal Direct as well and so far have had a good experience with them. I just received a package from them with flyers about tours, resturants etc. However, they failed to tell me that we could use the hotels beach and chairs. So that bit of info will come in handy.

Des Moines, Iowa
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Casa Gatos

I don't remember seeing a grill, but they may have one. Yes, they did supply beach towels. I forgot to mention earlier that there is a maid who comes everyday. She swept our floors, took out the garbage, made our bed and even did our dishes! She was great. We made sure to leave her a tip everyday, so that may have gotten us a little extra service

I'm not sure if you're interested, but our favorite place to eat was a little outdoor cafe next to the Chomak (grocery store). We called it the counter-top cafe because we didn't know it's official name. It has excellent food for breakfast and lunch and it's so cheap. The chinken tacos are awesome! The gucamole rocks too.

Have fun and drink a margarita (or two) for me!