We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
Level Contributor
266 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

We are considering booking GBP SK for our honeymoon but have some questions/concerns that hopefully you guys can help us out with.

1. Will we be bored at this resort? We aren't looking for a frat party but we do like talking to people and fun atmosphere. We don't really want a resort where people just lay there reading books all day and no one is having a good time by the swim up bar.

2. We are concerned about the limited dining choices. It seems there are only 2 restaurants on site and you have to take the tram to the other resorts to eat. Is this a big pain?

3. What is the typical age range at the resort?

4. The private section of the beach- how is the beach? Clear water?

5. How long is the ride from the aiport using private transportation?

Thanks in advance!!!

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

Haven't been there but me and the wife booked Sian Kaan for our honeymoon on the 17th. I had some of the same concerns so I'll address them as well as I can from the research that I have done.

1. From everything we have read, it is a quieter resort as its adult only. Both me and the wife are pretty low key(We are 27) so this doesn't bother us. You can always hop on the tram and go to one of the other GBP resorts if you are looking for a party.

2. You get unlimited ala carte reservations when you stay at the Sian Kaan which is a nice perk. Even though there is only two at the resort itself, there are quite a few others at the 3 other GBP properties, and the tram is pretty quick from what i have read.

3. From my reading, the average age is a bit older than us. I don't think you will find many 21-30 years olds here.

4. Take a look at the pictures from the Sian Kaan hints and tips. Rob has posted a bunch of pictures in there.

5. This is what worried me the most as we didnt want to waste a ton of time purely on transportation to and from the airport. We are taking a shared transfer and from my reading it seems like its a good bet to allow for about 75-90 minutes for a shared transfer and somewhat shorter for a private one.

I know...I havent been there so take my advice with a grain of salt I suppose. The biggest thing about this resort is do you mind being off the beach? If you are dead set at being on the beach then it is probably not for you.

For a more personal perspective Rob will probably see this at some point and respond.

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
965 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

Good answers calhounhusker - you've obviously done your research!

I'll add my opinions:

1) People are very nice and will chat, but yes, it is a quiet resort. And there is no swim-up bar at the Sian Ka'an. If you stay there you may prefer to go down to one of the other resorts during the day - they all have a more active pool scene with animation crews and swim-up bars.

2) Each hotel only has 3 or 4 choices (and the Sian Ka'an 2), but when you add them up you get a lot of variety, and only with the Sian Ka'an do you get unlimited days. At the other resorts it's usually 4 per week unless you pay extra for an upgrade or are a frequent return guest. As well, the buffet at the Sian Ka'an is exceptional.

3) We found the age range surprisingly varied, but predominantly 40s and 50s.

4) Beach is fine, but we've seen better too. Soft sandy beach, but rocks in the water in most areas. Sand whales distract somewhat from the view. Water is clear and blue. Good snorkeling in some areas.

5) Travel time in private transportation is about 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Rob

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
134 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

We booked GBP Sian Kaan after debating similar things. It was Sian Kaan or Catalonia Royal Tulum...We had already stayed at GBP Akumal twice and loved it....

1. The size of the resort appealed to us, being able to go to all the others to eat or use their pools, restaurants, beaches is great, and being able to escape back to Sian Kaan to get away from the kids was a draw as well.

2. You'll be taking the trams everywhere anyway....when we compared it to CRT, we figured we'd have to walk a ton anyway to get to the beach, others mentioned how pleasant it was to tram through the jungle, and from memory we never had any issues at Akumal with the tram service.

3. We are early 40's/late 30's. We'll try to be partiers for you guys. lol

4. It's somewhat rocky in spots, but decent with large blob protectors. Not as pristine as punta cana, or T, but as good as Mo Bay in Jamaica and Tangolunda in Huatulco.

5. Others have answered

Hope you guys pick Sian Kaan, maybe we'll see you there in early Dec.

Northern US
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

I will add a slightly different perspective to consider. The resort is very quiet and a couples romantic type getaway. As mentioned there is no swimup bar and even the "activity" pool is very low key.

Not only are dining options limited, it is difficult to get reservations at either unless you email ahead. If you wait until you arrive you will have to send your request up the chain of command to be seated. This happened on my visit and I was able to be seated but it was a hassle to do so.

The beach is ok but there are sandwhales and that is a turn off for me.

During my visit I felt that I was on or waiting for trollies most of the time and this got to be very bothersome. I enjoy rising early and going to the beach to watch sunrise. At SK this is not possible because the the trolly doesn't start running until well after.

IMO, if you are going to a beach resort for your honeymoon, choose one that is actually on a beach. There are plenty to choose from and you will have more time to enjoy your trip rather than riding around on trollies.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
134 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

Let me amend....I missed the part about you guys being on your honeymoon....if you end up in your room as much as we did on ours, the resort will be a blur.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,061 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

Have you seen the Palladium Royal and Bahia comparison

If $ is not a concern, I would want to go to the Palladium

tripadvisor.ca/…52510665

7. Re: Questions about GBP Sian Ka'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 06:19