We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash machines / ATM

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cash machines / ATM

I don't like to carry money on me I don't need.

Is it advisable to use the local cash points with UK bank cards?

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,670 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Most resorts have them as do each town - where are you staying

Find out what your UK debit card charges for both the fee and for any international exchange rate fee

I usually use the HSBC or Scotia affiliated ATMs (in Tulum). But there is Santander / Bancomer as well

The ones in the Akumal town are private so I don't like to use these (Chomak / Mini Super Las Palmas) as they are higher fees (over 65 pesos)

See this list of stores

www.akumalvacations.com/generalinfo.html

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Does your card use a 4 digit pin? Use only bank affiliated ATMs. The private ones...like similar in other countries can charge high fees. Your bank can suggest which brands to use. Try to use the machine inside the bank. A scam found in many places from Mexico on south is for outside ATMs to be fitted with a device that captures data. Today they are so small as to fit in the card slot. Always check and keep your receipt. I'm in the US so I don't know how the Brit system works. BUT for us a somewhat little known fact is that many ATM fees aren't fixed. Example. A friend and I shared the same bank. We travel to the same countries. But it turned out she was charged double what I was. In the US many banks will lower fees rather than lose a customer. Know before you go. Another suggestion. Find out what your bank does if something happens to your card. Will they send another to Mexico and how fast? Some banks have the policy of only shipping to the home address. I was traveling with an Aussie. We had just arrived in Mexico from Guat. In San Cristobal. He was almost out of cash. Went to the bank ATM and like a bad movie we saw the machine grind up his card. He called the bank in OZ. At first they wouldn't ship to Mexico. When they relented they said it would take 2 weeks. He had 100 pesos.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5,420 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Use only bank ATM's. Those on the street have been known to skim in this region.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Other tip. Before the trip call your bank's security department and tell them where and when you are going. If possible give an estimate of daily withdrawals. Much of the mass theft of credit card data is sold to Third World countries. Bank computers are set to freeze accounts that suddenly show charges from those areas. Unfreezing is a royal pain when not at home. Doesn't hurt to log on to your account and monitor activity. Uh... clear the cache and history if on a hotel computer or similar.

Carlisle, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Yeah I had that issue when I was travelling with the royal navy in dubai my bank kept blocking my card.

Skimming is something I'm aware of as eastern European gangs like this trick in the UK.

So It would be wise to stick with my santander bank over there for money withdrawals?

I will go my local bank and ask them.

Thanks for the help

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash machines / ATM

i believe Santander has some relationships with Mexican banks. In those cases fees may be better. As to security, if you follow the suggestions then any bank will do. It's not worth it to take a taxi across town to a particular bank.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,670 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Check top questions

I have put lots (and more) of this info over there

Look for the dummy's guide for using ATMs in Mexico

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,029 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Banks may freeze your card for any international travel if you dont tell them about it - third world or not. A simple phone call to the bank clears it up though.

Cancun
Level Contributor
1,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cash machines / ATM

i believe Santander has some relationships with Mexican banks" ....... unfortunately no longer, I did Santander ATM withdrawal with my BoA debit card,, as I did for several years, but today BoA debited ATM fees 4% of the amount .... so $30 USD lost :(

....they never even notified that thing were changed

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cash machines / ATM

Dreamdays..this is sorta what I was mentioning in an earlier post. I used to use BofA. So did a friend. Going to the same places I was being charged 2%. She 4%. She called to complain and they lowered her rate on the spot. That's one of the few things CS people can do. If you have been with them for years they don't want to lose you over a few dollars in ATM fees on rare occasions.