We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is that mail box in use I wonder?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hanko, Finland
Level Contributor
154 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I dropped all my twenty postcards to Europe in the red mailbox that is close to the El Pueblito supermarket.. I really hope that one is in use but I am beginning to wonder as it has been 3 weeks now. Any information on an issue like this?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

The postal system in Mexico is notoriously bad. Your postcards may show up next week, next month, next year ... or never.

baltimore
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I stopped sending post card from Mexican because it is so slow. In the past it has taken my family about 3-4 months to receive there postcards.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

In read a post last month where the person STATED that the resort intentioned destroyed their postcards because they never arrived in 2 weeks

SIGH

Hanko, Finland
Level Contributor
154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I have many older relatives that really sit and wait for that card to arrive, and therefore I sent them already on the second day of our holiday. Can't remember that it would have taken especially long the two earlier times we have visited Riviera Maya.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
342 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I have seen it suggested to buy postcards there and mail them when you get back. A much safer bet your relatives/friends will receive them. Might be a good idea to try, especially since they might get them months after you are back from vacation anyhow.

Hanko, Finland
Level Contributor
154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I put one last postcard in that same box on the last day we were in Akumal and that one arrived today but no sight of the others : )

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,921 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

Postcards, oh yeah, thanks for the reminder.

I think I'll buy a few today and hand-deliver them when I get home.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I am really surprised if they even check the mailboxes. If you look closely at many of them, they look as if they are never opened. Their is a reason Mexicans never pay bills by mail and that all the utility companies hand deliver the bills.

Hanko, Finland
Level Contributor
154 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

And today, 3 and a half weeks after posting them, all the rest of the postcards have arrived. We learn one thing from this; next time we travel we need to be away for a month! : )

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is that mail box in use I wonder?

I have has some success with the Mexican postal system and packages FROM the USA. It leaves by Priority Mail in the USA but believe Priority is an unknown word in the Mexican Postal system. I think the key is that I have always had it sent to a Mexican friend who is a lifelong island resident. Someone from the post office always calls him when my package arrives. I imagine if he package had only my name, I would never see it.