We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

We returned back from GP yesterday. Stayed at the Royal adult only part, it was out 8th trip to this particular complex - stayed at all 4 other parts before and at the Royal *3 times.

I will be posting a full trip report so just some random notes for now:

- the weather was colder than usual by at least 2 degrees. We had a Norte outbreak for few days with the N or NE wind and it was colder but good for the snorkeling - less waves - and for the sailing hobby cat at the resort - easy to take off the to return back to the shore line;

- we did not get sick (Castro-intestinal infection is always a concern at the resorts and cruises);

- I would be confident to say that there are no sand fleas (no rotten grass on the beach and the beach topography with the elevation toward the suntanning area probably ensures that);

- it was raining on and off so lots of other insects around the sunset and sunrise time when you are inland by the palms and bushes in the shade so avoid being there as the sun gets down - move closer to the shore line;

- we had very few days when the sun was bright and open, it was 80 % of the overcast with about 20% of the sun and a few short showers, few heavy rains, and few shorter rains in between. We did not complain at all as I am trying to limit the use of the sunscreen and the overcast allowed us to swim without limits;

- the hotel was close to 100% full. They have more Russian people now, as their usual Egypt destination is out for now. They wake up early due to time difference and the beach is filled early, we had to go before 8 to be able to get a palapa for the shade.

Overall the trip was very enjoyable with the very good swimming and lots of live entertainment in the evenings.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

Thanks Olga.Very informative as always. I look forward to your trip report.

Edited: 02 December 2013, 18:07
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

Welcome back - glad you had a great time! I noticed you've been to RST in Punta Cana - we've been to the Palladium in PC and am just wondering how they compare/which you prefer? Thanks!

manchester
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

We have stayed in the palladium colonial and the royal suites turquesa. Certainly overall I would say the complex in the riviera maya is way above and beyond punta Cana. Personally I prefer the colonial over RST so I can only imagine how amazing the royal suites Yucatan is.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

The beach in PC at the Palladium is the best..even better than RM I think...but my favorite resort is RM by far!!

Can't wait to return to Royal Suites RM May 1st!!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

I liked the food variety/quality and the service at the restaurants at RST in Punta Cana better than at the RSY in Riviera Maya, but IMHO the rest is better in Riviera Maya - the beach is very secluded and private (there one in Punta Cana is located in the hotel row with many people passing by it, but it is 100% sandy in Punta Cana); the entertainment is way better in Riviera Maya, the standard RSY rooms in Riviera Maya have these huge jacuzzi on the balconies that we love versus the bathtub in the room at RST that we did not use. The beach area is actually better/bigger at RST as it is a real separate beach versus only a separate area at RSY with not enough room for all RSY guests that want to use it.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

Curious Olga if you saw many coatis. They were everywhere when I was there in November. A friend of mine just back didn't see any. Felipe told me they sometime relocate them to control them as they can become a nuisance to some because of people feeding them. I enjoy seeing the animals so pls people don't feed them.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

We saw some coatis by the Colonial pool buffet. People do feed them. We disapprove that as well. There was a boy that was so fascinated by these animals that could not eat just stood there staring on them despite his parents trying to feed him, not coatis.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 21:21
Edmonton
Level Contributor
181 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

I sincerely doubt that the coatis (or racoons) are relocated. This rarely works, is expensive and the animals usually do not adapt the new environment. Thus, they are usually just exterminated.

People need to understand that when they feed the animals they are likely condemning them to death. When (not if) they become a problem by begging, becoming aggressive or going in the buffets they will not be given a comfortable new home in the jungle with lots of fruit and other food to eat.

No sense soft-coating this issue. Please don't feed the animals (including the fish, birds and iguanas).

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,476 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

Keisha I was assured by top management when I was there last month that they do no exterminate animals. They have another property that they relocate them to when necessary. Coatis multiply quickly and when humans feed them they can become problematic so pls people if you enjoy the animals do not feed them

Edited: 04 December 2013, 23:36
Edmonton
Level Contributor
181 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Grand Palladium, some notes.

I know that the Palladium is very eco-conscious and care a lot about the environment. They may try to relocate the animals but as I stared that is not a fix. It was clear when I was there in November that there were entire families of coatis involved in this behavior and the young animals in particular will become conditioned that humans are safe and a source of food. Not a good mindset to have if they are released somewhere in the wild.

As you mentioned, people really need to not feed the animals. Many reports here on TA talk about feeding raccoons, coatis, iguanas, fish, etc. None of these should be fed.