We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI for Best Snorkeling?

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
AI for Best Snorkeling?

My head is swimming with information. Arrrgggg. Looking for AI with good on site snorkeling. I have it narrowed down to Grand Palladium Colonial, Akumal Beach Resort or Gran Bahia Principe. ABR looks like it has the best snorkeling, but run down facilities and poor food choices. Colonial looks like a great resort, just not sure of the snorkeling. Gran Bahia just looks OK, unless it has awesome snorkeling. Of those 3, which is the best for snorkeling? Is the snorkeling so great at Akumal that it makes up for the lower quality resort? Of Gran Bahia.......better snorkeling at Akumal or Tulum?? Soooo many places to keep track of.....

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,247 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

I travel to the P with snorkeling friends and they find it very good most days. There is a deep reef off Kantenah where they see a variety of fish, turtles and a more shallow reef off White Sand. (Both steps from Colonial beach.) I also saw a lot of fish in the salt water pool last month.

The P is a short colectivo ride to Akmal if you wanted a morning of snorkeling there.

Edited: 04 December 2013, 18:45
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,253 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

Bahia , not the best among the others

Do you know you have 2 separate posts for the same ?

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

No, I didn't realize it. That's how confused I am. Arrrgggg :-(

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

We enjoyed the snorkeling at Palladium - really clear, lots of variety.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,253 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

Barceló, Grand Sirenis, Palladium and ABR are the best

My son was just at Barceló - excellent reports on snorkeling

You can't go wrong at either 4 although many who visit the 4-5 star resorts visit Akumal Bay and say it's still a highlight

Perhaps stay a one of the better resorts and visit Akumal Bay and then you will know for next time

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

Thanks! I think we've decided on Palladium. Definitely going to make a trip to Akumal Bay. I've seen some of the snorkeling pics and it looks amazing!!

7. Re: AI for Best Snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 December 2014, 06:18