We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

Lethbridge...
Level Contributor
64 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

Okay sorry for asking yet another question, but also thank you for everyone being so helpful, it's been amazing. Been to Mexico on the pacific side lots, but never to this side, so I got lots of questions haha.

So I really like to snorkel and by the looks of the videos online I should be able to a little bit at the GBP itself no prob. Also want to check out Akumal Bay, Xel Ha and Yal Ku. I have read lots about Akumal Bay and Yal Ku (Definitely going to try for the golf cart tour suggested by Vancouver). So I'm assuming I can rent the full snorkel set up at all these places right? Well maybe other than GBP. Is it worth buying an okay set for say $100 vs renting everywhere or is the gear quite accessible everywhere you go?

Another question is about GBP to Xel Ha or Tulum. What would a taxi cost to go to these places vs booking a tour via travel agent etc. Thanks for any help.

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

You can buy a snorkel set at Costco for $50 and it includes a mesh bag to carry.

Going to Akumal - you'd get up to the Highway and take a Collectivo (small white van). It's 20 pesos/person each way, and drops you off on the Highway.

Walk in to the Beach and head right on the Beach to the Dive Shop. You can rent a locker and 2 lifejackets for 144 pesos, and it includes the use of their hot water showers.

You can take the same snorkel set to Xelha (we paid $80US/person in April 2012), and wear a pair of water shoes. Again, take a Collectivo in the opposite direction for the same price, and walk in from the highway.

Interchange your snorkel set with your water shoes, and while snorkeling clip the bag to your life jacket. That way, you can snorkel to a spot, get out, put on your water shoes, pack up your snorkel set, and explore the park.

TIP - get your picture taken everywhere (Parrots, Rock Jump, Float, etc.). When you leave the Park the pics are printed and displayed and you buy the ones you want. When you buy them you are also given a code to download the digital versions. We were there from 10 a.m. to 6:30 p.m., did all of the Park and managed to eat lunch and supper and bevvies. Good deal.

The DIY tours are the way to go - you aren't limited to any time frames.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,845 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

BAT gives some great info

Colectivos are a very inexpensive way to travel to travel to Xel-Ha or Tulum

If you fancy a taxi, go out to the hwy, where the colectivos are, if they approach you, tell them you are going to take a colectivo and they will give you a better price

Check out Maps and Ruins Top Question for lots more info

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
829 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

Gosh yes, buy your own snorkel and mask...you'll be glad you did!

-Surf:)

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

Buy your own for sure . Take the Xel Ha money and use that if you have to . There's tons of free and very inexpensive snorkeling options out there including some simple cenotes like Cenote Cristalino , easy by colectivo and ten or twelve bucks including colectivo transport from GBP . If you are a good swimmer Halfmoon Bay is awesome on calm days . Try walking north on your beach towards the Oasis for better rock cover undewater and maybe better viewing .

5. Re: GBP, Akumal Bay, Xel Ha, Yal Ku snorkelling, buy one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:17