We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation outside of resort... need help!!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
492 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
transportation outside of resort... need help!!

So, I'm trying to talk my SO into a trip to mexico (which he isn't into to begin with because he's never been out of the country and is very wary of safety and food/water issues in Mexico). Neither of us has ever been to Mexico and I'm confused about how we should explore outside of the resort. We are planning on staying at the Grand Palladium resort, and I would like to do a day trip to Xel-ha, go to akumal beach where the turtles are, maybe go to isla mujeres, and maybe do some kind of jungle/cenote tour. Should I just plan on doing pre-paid tours with transportation for all of those? The only other options I've found so far have been colectivo, taxi, and rental cars... all of which have really bad things written about them. I don't think the colectivo will be for us because we don't know that area and I won't have any idea of where to get on and off it. I don't mind the idea of getting a taxi from the hotel, but I don't know how to get a taxi back.... Reviews I've read about Mexican taxis are that they are difficult to find outside of calling for one, and that there are a lot of fake taxis that are unsafe. Same thing about rental cars, reviews talk about how many ways renting a car can go wrong with the insurance and laws, and I don't know how easy to will be to find out way around and parking. Is going to Mexico a mistake? I'm trying to go into this with a positive attitude, but we are nervous about all the negative stories we have heard about Mexico :-(.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

Both colectivos and taxis are easy from the Palladium and safe. I have a trip report on here from November and discuss using both. I went with newbies and they were very comfortable using both. Here is my report.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g499445-d295…

You can get a taxi from the lobby or you can walk outside the resort and there are some there. You can also get a colectivo from outside the resort. There are bus stops (colectivo stops) on both sides of the highway.

Usually, the colectivos and taxis also stop or gather at the entrances of plalces like Xel Ha, Tulum. When we went to Akumal we easily found a taxi back to the Palladium near the entrance to Akumal Playa.

The area you are going to is very safe. I have traveled there both with my family and alone for many years. Check the US State dept site. It specifically says that there are no warning or travel alerts for Quintana Roo, the Yucatan, etc.

The people, staff are all wonderful. You will love the Palladium. The complex is very safe.

Also suggest getting a Mexican Adventures map. It sill show you where everything is and has lots of info.

cancunmap.com/

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

I've been to mexico( Akumal area ) 9 times - 7 of those travelling alone ( I am female) , I have frequently used collectivos and taxis , they are perfectly safe , most of the places that you mention have taxi ranks right outside ( Akumal beach , xel ha , xcaret , Tulum ruins etc all have taxi ranks right outside the entrance with the prices written on a board. Collectivos are perfectly safe to use and are fun and cheap . As long as you use the common sense rules that you would use at home the riviera maya is safe to travel independently and in fact it is the recommended way to get out and about and see things.

If you are really nervous about going out of resort alone you could always hire a driver and guide for the day who would take you places and wait for you and pick you up but I would really only do this if you were visiting several places in a day or going a distance ( like to chitchenitza )

Truly it is a great place to visit with wonderful people , you will not regret going :)

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

IME, taxis are VERY easy to find and not only have I never had issues with "fake" taxis, I've never read about anyone on these forums encountering that either (not sure where you're getting your info from!).

The only caution with taxis (and this applies to any non-metered taxi the world over), confirm the price BEFORE you get in. In Playa del Carmen, I found that if I said "I want to go to x, how much is that", the driver would often quote an inflated price. However, if I said, "I want to go to x, that's y pesos, right", they wouldn't try to pull a fast one. Moral of this story - get an idea of what taxi fares should be.

Thousands of people rent cars without incident; very few of the come on these boards to tell us about it but the ones who have a bad experience (almost always due to their lack of research beforehand) are very fast to come onto these forums and let us know. IMHO car rental in this part of the world isn't cheap so it only makes sense if you will actually be using the vehicle (as opposed to having it sit in your resort's parking lot). For that reason, you may want to consider only renting for the days you'll actually be using it. Here's a link to some great info originally posted by Bellasogno which, IMO, should be required reading for anyone thinking of renting - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k70…

For trips to Isla Mujeres, Xel Ha and Akumal, you definitely do NOT need a tour. These are easy (and safe) to do on your own. For Isla Mujeres, first order yourself a Mapchick map - http://www.mapchick.com/isla-mujeres-map (actually, ALL her maps are outstanding!). When you get to IM, rent yourself a golf cart and take a self-directed tour of the island using the aforementioned map. Return your golf cart, have some chill time at Playa Norte and end up with dinner in town.

For Akumal, if you want to throw in some culture, tour the ruins at Tulum first (as early as possible so as to avoid the heat and crowds), then have lunch on Tulum Beach (not the one at the ruin site), and then head to Akumal Beach (or skip lunch at Tulum and go straight to Akumal and have lunch on the beach there).

For Xel-Ha, check to see if the ADO bus in an option; something makes me think you can get discounted admission to the park if you use the ADO to get there. (I could be completely out to lunch on that though, so please confirm all the details.)

If you've never been through Cancun airport, you might want to read the following which will give you a step by step account of what to expect - tripadvisor.ca/…52125624

As regards to safety, here's a link to your own government's travel advisory website; you'll note that there is NO ADVISORY in effect for Quintana Roo (the state you'll be visiting) - …state.gov/content/passports/english/alertsw…

With the greatest of respect, I would also ask you (and your husband) to pause for a second and consider the thousands (probably hundreds of thousands) of REPEAT visitors to Mexico. Just check out these forums to see how many of us go back any and every chance we get . We can't possibly ALL be sufferng from the same delusions or death wish; common sense dictates that we wouldn't all keep coming back if it were dangerous. Remember, happy people returning home with a smile and a tan don't make good headlines which is why the media pounces on any bad incident (which, IME, they often either mis-report or omit crucial information).

Finally, with respect to food/water issues, search these forums for the word "acidophilus" - sort the results by date to ensure you're looking at current information and check out a few of those threads. They'll give you some great tips on how to avoid tummy troubles (most of which are self-inflicted, IMHO!).

That should keep you busy for a while! Happy researching.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Akumal Beach
Akumal Beach
11,929 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Quintana Roo
Quintana Roo
Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,289 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

I forgot to mention that the Palladium has its own water purification system and has consistently won the Distintivo H award for food safety and handling. I've been there more than 20x and to two other resorts in the area with no issues. As was suggested, use acidolphilus or another probiotic. Tummy issues can be avoided by moderating the food and alcohol (especially coconut based drinks) drinking lots of water, hand washing and using common sense.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,929 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

Even eating out your resort is safe - water - just drink bottled water and as Ann said, water is safe inside this and most resorts

For a list of travel ideas, look at this thread (from Top Questions)

tripadvisor.ca/…35585095

valliant,oklahoma
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

sanger 727, don't worry so much, it all will work out. I am a worry wart, I don't like surprises . we had never been out of the us.. and I personally had never flown. I also knew if there were problems on our trip I was going to be the one to get blamed for this fiasco ! so I read and researched on tripadvisor until I was blue in the face.. guess what , it all worked out great, I had written pages and pages of advise and had it in my hand before we stepped off the plane . hubby would roll his eyes everytime I dug around for my notes lol.. the advice you get on here will be right on the money, just don't worry yourself silly like I did! go , have fun and relax!! we will be at the palladium, may 1st thru 8th plan on having a blast!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
492 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

Wow, thanks for all the reassurance and advice. To clarify, haven't seen many posts in the forums about the taxis or rental car issues... Those were in trip advisers travel guides!! And thanks Llisa, I will look into the suggestions you made.

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

OK , I did not actually read all the responses because I know that everyone is telling you all the great things about Mexico and reassuring you.

Here is the reason for my post. Earlier in life , a few lucky people in my life traveled to Mexico and returned to tell me what a great time they had there. Being stupid , I never considered going myself. I said to myself " I don't want to go anywhere that I can't eat or drink the water safely " , perhaps I was subconciously remembering when I was a child and my parents took us across the line from Disneyland to Tijuana Mexico. When I was 35 , and just moved my girlfriend ( now wife ) in with me , we wanted to take a nice vacation. She had never been outside of our home province of BC. We took a spur of the moment trip to Mexico , just plane tickets , no hotel booked , no plan , no research , and not much money. I won't tell you the long story about our trip , just the end result. We have been back 3 times in the last 6 years and would dearly love to go every single winter. A new baby slowed us down a bit , but we are counting the days till December when we will go again , and every year after that if we can.

It is beautiful , it is awesome , warm , sunny , friendly , safe , it is something you HAVE TO DO. You won't regret it , except perhaps the addiction issues which will make you long for Winter to arrive in Cincinnati.

Show this to your SO , if he needs more convincing just PM me and I will fill your inbox.

JUST GO , and have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Tijuana
Tijuana
Baja California Norte, Mexico
9. Re: transportation outside of resort... need help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:17