We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

How did you pick your resort in Mexico? There are well over 300 choices so it can be overwhelming to choose. Here is what I did:

I built a spreadsheet so I could analyze the data. The spreadsheet listed hotels in Mexico, Aruba, Jamaica, Hawaii, the Virgin Islands, Bermuda as well as some others in the Caribbean. I put in columns with hyper links to each hotel so I could quickly look at them when I wanted to make comparisons. I also had hyper links for YouTube videos, and local attractions. There are columns for star ratings, costs, special notes, Pro’s, Con’s and reviews.

I did this for every hotel that I remotely liked. Then I color coded them in red green and yellow for a rating system. After I did this I showed it all to my wife. The first thing she said was how gay I was for doing this. Not nice!! The spreadsheet really helped us narrow it down. You could quickly compare costs and star ratings AND if you forgot what the hotel looked like you could click on a link and it would bring your right there.

After weeks of reviewing and reviewing and reviewing we narrowed it down to the Royal Suites Yucatan at the Palladium and the new Hard Rock spa in Rivera Maya. Two completely different types of places. The one thing that kept pulling us into the HR was the unlimited resort credit they are offering right now. Its $3600 USD for a 2 week stay. That is a BIG credit.

In the end we chose the Palladium. It was huge with lots of walking available. Very natural the way it is set into the jungle. It had big pools, a big beach and the suites offer butler service. The butler service was something I wanted for my wife. It’s our 25th anniversary and I wanted her to feel special.

UK
Level Contributor
887 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Having never been before we both Spent 2 months trawling the net for info on Mexico. A Canadian couple who post on here suggested the Grand Palladium, Another website called the ' Palladium Addicts ' simply confirmed how good it was.

They were both right.

B.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
604 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

We had heard really good things about the Palladium so a local radio station was hosting a winter escape trip to the Palladium, so we joined them (2008).... We loved it... been going every year since then....We now stay in the Royal Suites section and can't wait to be back there in May...

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Congrats

Many are very satisfied with Palladium

Prince George...
Level Contributor
233 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

I think you may have a bit of an obsessive compulsive disorder. But I wish I could have alook at your

charts and maybe it could help me make a decision!!! Anyway we have stay a t the Palladium and thought it was a great overall stay. We really liked that you didn't need to make reservations and thought the food was excellent. The beach is beautiful but be aware that some of the beach has a lot of (ironshore?? I've seen the word used before on this forum but not sure of it's definition) but that area is great for snorkling. We have also stayed at the Royal suites in Puerto Vallarta and we were too inexperienced to take advantage of everything they offered in the Royal Suites so I am sure we missed a lot but thought it was amazing with no kids, lots of personal service around the pool etc. really nice. Make sure you ask lots of questions and don't miss out of services you are entitled too. You might have to ask some questions of Palladiumaddict to find out everything you need to know. Have fun, great choice

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

The iron shore mentioned is at the far south end of the resort beyond the salt water pool. It is not an area I would suggest anyone try and walk but it is very beautiful.

6. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 February 2014, 12:30
Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Me OCD? I would say I am orginized to a fault maybe. When comparing 7 destintaions and over a thousand hotels I knew no other way to be. It really was not very hard. I just ahd to save links to each place I visited and keep track of the prices that I found. Most hotels were easy to cross of the list so I never even had to document them. If it was not 4 star or higher it was crossed off. If it had consistant bad reviews it was crossed off.

It only became hard once I norrowed it down to 2 locations and 4 or 5 resorts. Then it was a battle royal.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Wish I'd planned my trip but we didn't, me and my partner had litteraly come back from thailand and within 3 weeks we booked and paid for our up and coming trip to Mexico ;).

Looked at a couple of resorts though mind you and decided on an all inclusive as the kids have never experienced one before so ended up booking the grand bahia principe akumal

Happy travels y'all

James

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

Type A personality for sure! I did a short version. Can't remember if I picked Mexico the first time or the Apples vacation rep did. Been going there ever since. I wasn't on TA at the time. I picked three resorts from the brochure. Made a spread sheet listing what was important to me and picked one from there.

Edited: 25 February 2014, 18:07
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,075 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How did you pick your resort in Mexico?

My family and I had always traveled the Caribbean. When we discovered the AIs of Mexico and the Riviera Maya area in 2001 we were hooked. The first two resorts we went to in Playacar were OK. I read TA and other sources frequently and had great interest in the Grand Palladium from the first time I read about its opening; the incredible attention to detail that went into the property; the meticulous way it was carved out of a jungle while maintaining the dignity of the jungle, flora and fauna; the attention being devoted to operating systems such as the water purification system. I followed this resort for the first year of its opening determined to try it. In 2003 my family and I visited for the first time and have returned annually or bi annually. We are treated like part of the family, have come to know management and staff. Many staff are proudly there since the resort opened which speaks volumes. The management is constantly looking for ways to improve the resort and often take suggestions from guests.

Since we first visited in 2003 the complex has expanded from 2 resorts to 5 resorts, still maintaining the high standards relative to the environment, food safety, handling and preparation and loyalty to repeat guests, offering new amenities such as unlimited ala cartes, a program for those with food allergies and continual attention to issues facing mobility challenged individuals.

I followed the resort through the back to back hurricanes of 2005 when they took time out to keep us at home informed about the safety of the guests and staff. The management always put guest and staff safety first.

The resort has also gone way beyond the call of duty to me and my family personally when were going through some difficult times. My daughter and I have also visited other Palladium properties and they all maintain the same high standards but the Palladium Riviera Maya is my home away from home.

There is an outstanding article on TY entitled “Behind the Scenes of a Five Star Riviera Maya Resort”. Highly recommend this article for a behind the scenes look at how the Palladium (and other large resorts) operates on a day to day basis.