We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive Food - Opinion

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
All inclusive Food – Opinion

All inclusive Food – Opinion

If you include Cruise ships, my wife and I have only been on 4 all inclusive vacations. Three cruises and one true AI in Mexico. Here are my thoughts on it:

Quantity: There is an endless amount of food at any AI. It can range from simple burgers, hot dogs and pizza to a sit down meal with lobster. A buffet is what a buffet is. Most items at a buffet are the typical items you would find on a buffet anywhere else in the world. Fried foods, meats, pasta, bread, salad, deserts and that sort of thing. If you want quantity be sure to saddle up the a buffet but don’t complain when you get home and find that you gained weight.

Quality: the higher end the resort is the higher end the Ala Cart’e meals will be. But keep in mind these are AI resorts and not Nobu in New York city. The food will be very good but you should not expect Wolf Gang Puck to come to your table and cook it for you. What it will be is better than you would get back at home when at the Olive Garden, TGI Fridays or Chili’s. Not that there is anything wrong with any of those restaurants. They all serve quality meals at a budget friendly price. My point is that the meal at the AI will be somewhere in between Chili’s and Nobu. If you manage your expectations you will e pleased with what you get. The food is well presented, high quality, fresh, hot and tasty. That is a quality meal.

Choice: There is always something that you will enjoy. If you don’t see it, ask for it. These resorts rely on repeat and word of mouth business. They want you to enjoy yourself. They don’t want to you leave disappointed that you could not find anything you liked to eat. Again, if you don’t see it, ask for it. Chances are they will make you just about anything that you want. The choice is yours.

Be Careful: Lots of people get sick when at an AI or on a Cruise. Most people assume it is the drinking water or due to being at sea. The sad reality is that most of the time it is due to over indulgence. During the normal course of your day to day life you don’t tend to have 3 plates of food for breakfast, start drinking at 10:00AM and then drink and eat all day long while sitting in the hot sun. Most of us are not 22 and can no longer do that without repercussions. Pace yourself and you may have a better time. For me, my vacation time to too precious to spend it sick. Losing a single day to being sick is almost a 20% time loss for a week’s vacation. 20% is a lot!!

Rugby
Destination Expert
for Ibiza
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

What I've found works for me after several AI holidays is to have a light breakfast with loads of fruit, in contrast to when you're on half board and stoking up until dinner. We don't tend to go into the buffets at lunchtime because we always find that you end up eating more than you mean to. So, it's a snack for us at one of the bars, although my OH does get tempted by the burgers! I also don't really drink alcohol in the daytime as it finishes me off and sends me to sleep. I like to save myself for dinner and be hungry. The problem with AI is that you can be in the position of not being hungry for any meal which seems a shame. Mind you, I always start off with good intentions and my will power is not always so good!

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,953 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

I think another reason some get sick is the nature of buffets....food sitting out for hours, being touched by sometimes several different people, recycled day to day, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

Lots of people try to eat and drink their "moneys worth". For me getting my moneys worth is going on vacation with my best girl (wife) and enjoying our time together. If we ant to eat, we eat. If we want to drink we drink but we never make it a mission to do either one. Most of the time we have a simple single plate breakfast, skip lunch and then have a nice dinner. If we go into PDC and have a few drinks we may end up having a snack for lunch but that is not common.

While on vacation, if I want a drink I have one. I dont wear a watch while on vacation so dont know/care what time it is. I may have a beer at 10:00 AM but may not have another one until much later at night. We dont tend to drink to get hammered and I want no part of wasting a day with a hangover. To me being sick is not getting your moneys worth.

WE do have some friends that go to an AI every year and they drink from sun up to sun down every sigle day. Their idea of a good vacation is sitting on a cot getting smashed. If that is your bag, good for you. We dont vacaton with them because they actually get mad when we dont drink. they act like we are being imature by not drinking non stop. to each their own.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

I think that there are many reasons people get sick, and often brought on by the things mentioned, ie over eating, drinking too much alcohol, not drinking enough water, too much hot sun, too many pina coladas (coconut is a laxative), not enough hand washing. At the Palladium the hostess hands out hand sanitizer at the entrance to the buffet and I have seen people turn it down. I have also seen people leaving the rest room without washing their hands and head into the buffet so I bring my own hand sanitizer and use it before eating.

At the Palladium they do have napkins tied around certain handles and utensils but you still see the occasional guests mis-using things. Staff also remove trays of partially eaten food and replace them with fresh food. They do not replenish trays and they do have people going around taking the temps of food.

The Palladium also puts great effort into its nightly theme buffets, ie researching authentic recipes for that theme and even decorating in the theme. Not everyone will like everything, ie keep in mind they prepare thousands of meals per day for many different cultures.

I think by using common sense to avoid getting sick, ie don't eat or drink too much more than you would on a normal day at home, washing hand before eating, drinking plenty of bottled water, tummy problems can be avoided. Just my 2 pesos.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:33
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,076 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

Standing in line, Luke warm buffet food touched by many hands, fighting off the bacon hoarders,

OK - I am convinced

Cliff Island, Maine
Level Contributor
3,354 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

We LOVE all-inclusive resorts. Being a young couple with a 7 year old daughter we have fallen in love with vacations where you never have to worry about where to go for your next meal and the price. Everything is already paid for. If you don’t like something at the buffet, just push the plate aside and go back up. Plus what better opportunity to try every drink you ever wanted to? Going to hemmingways at the palladium, indulging in top shelf liquor-anything that you want. Our family is hooked.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
11,901 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

I agree that AI is the way to go with kids, teens and even young adults. They can be finnicky, have huge appetites (Teens & young adults) and the variety of food and drinks available insures that they find something like like and you're not paying for food or drinks that will go to waste. Once my daughter turned 7 or 8 we began visiting AIs and feel it's a great option for families.

8. Re: All inclusive Food – Opinion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 05:20