We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best park for 13 year old

Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Best park for 13 year old

Which park would be the most fun for a 13 year old? We have only been to the night show at xcaret. Thinking of going back and spending the day there.

Thanks for any tips.

Chilly

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,168 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,539 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best park for 13 year old

My personal preference with a teen is Xel Ha, particularly if s/he is active as there are more things to participate in, snorkeling, floating down a river, cliff jumping. Xcaret was more things to look at, ie exhibits with the exception of the underground river which my daughter didn't really enjoy. Suggest you look at both websites to see which is a better fit for your family.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,168 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Thanks so much! We'll check it out.

Chilly

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Xel ha for sure:)

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best park for 13 year old

I just looked at the site for Hidden Worlds. Says park closed for construction. Does anyone know if this is current?

Thanks,

Chilly

Cincinnati
Level Contributor
63 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Another vote for Xel Ha. We took our 4 teenage boys there 2 years ago and it was a huge hit. Don't do it via a group trip - just catch a cab or rent a car for the day so you can get there at opening and stay until close. That way you will get time before and after the groups leave and it is much more enjoyable.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,644 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Completely agree about Xel Ha. For that age of child I think it would be wonderful. Actually my first time to Mexico was when I was 15 and it was the highlight of our trip and I even convinced my husband many, many, years later to go on our honeymoon. I also agree to cab it to the park. Get there early and get your snorkeling done before the afternoon when the large tour busses get there. Then in the afternoon you can do the other activities. The sand gets really churned up in the afternoon after all of the people have been snorkeling and the visibility gets less and less so do that first.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
uk
Level Contributor
215 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Xelha was absolutely fab for our 11yr and 19yr, and for us . The dolphin swim was great with lots of interaction and well worth the money when compared to discovery cove which we've done before. Really enjoyed the snorkelling and have fab pics of the kids swimming with dolphins - took distance pics ourselves and also bought a few nice ones of the kids. We had an all in deal with a rep from the hotel and thought it was good value for money with food and drinks included, both great and esp good mexican food. Only wish we.could have stayed longer. Loved the manatees and stingrays and would def recommend for a family day out- anicehol

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
783 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Our family loved Xel-Ha, but my older child really enjoyed Xplor too!. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Xplor Park
Xplor Park
15,316 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best park for 13 year old

Glad to read all of these replies! We were debating between Xel-Ha and Xcaret with our adventurous 10 and 12 year olds -- sounds like Xel-Ha wins!

To the OP - how was the night show at Xcaret? Worth going out of your way for??

To everyone - how do you you think healthy 72-year old parents-in-law would enjoy Xel-Ha??

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
Hotel Xcaret Mexico
1,168 Reviews
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
Poplar, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
289 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best park for 13 year old

The night show was excellent and we wish we would of went earlier and seen more of the park. The show would be excellent for your older folks.

We were at xel ha a few years back and loved the river float. Not sure where we will end up.

A big thank you to all ideas!

Chilly

Mentioned in this post
Xel-Ha
Xel-Ha
15,961 Reviews
Riviera Maya, Mexico