We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

cheshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Hey everyone, we're staying at the Grand Sirenis for two weeks at the end of May.......2 adults and a 10 year old!!

We usually don't venture out much as the little one used to get fed up but as she's older I'm thinking it would be great to get some cultural experiences under hers (and our) belts :)

I'd rather not be tied in to an excursion where if we've had enough we have to sit it out till the the end, I prefer the option of just going back when we're done!

Think we'll definitely do the Tullum ruins and I really like the look of the snorkeling at the cenote(not sure which would be easiest/best??)

Do any of you lovely people have any other suggestions or tips for the above??

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Sure, you can get to the Tulum ruins via taxi, colectivo (shared vans that run along Highway 307) or rental car. Taxi or rental car will take you to the ruins entrance, colectivo will drop you off on the highway and you walk in or can pay about $2 or so pp to take a shuttle if you are tired or hot. Take lots of water, Tulum is hot despite being next to the sea and try and get there when it opens at 8am to avoid the tour buses, it gets madly crowded later on.

Don't know much about cenotes, which one did you have in mind? Might want to try an open cenote the first time rather than a closed or cave cenote.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
368 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Definitely take your swimsuits to Tulum to enjoy the beautiful beach. Have you looked into Xelha? Not a cenote, but for snorkeling I think a 10 year old would love it. There's snorkeling, innertubes, ziplines, bike riding, and lots more to keep you busy as well as plenty of food options and areas to rest.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,602 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Akumal Beach is close to the Grand Sirenis - about a 10 minute (if that) taxi ride. Lots of snorkelling either at Akumal or nearby Yal Ku Lagoon.

If you want to make a full day of it, start out at the ruins at Tulum - get there early before the heat and the crowds. After that, head to Tulum Beach proper (not the one at the ruins) and have lunch on the beach with your toes in the sand. When you're done with that, then head to Akumal and spend the afternoon snorkelling with the turtles before heading back to your resort.

Edited: 16 March 2014, 14:56
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Most of the hints/tips that I give are the DIY variety

e.g. in Top Questions under Ruins, are a Tulum DIY, Coba Ruins DIY

Try my famous Akumal to Yal-Ku golf cart tour (Yal-Ku is an open cenote to the ocean)

or Tulum Beach Club Crawl

vernon canada
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

The Tulum beach that Lisa mentioned is awesome. We had a great time at the small beach within the gates of the ruins the first time we went. Last year , as we left the gates , we walked down the beach road for less than 10 minutes and cut over to the Ocean / Beach. Could not believe that we had missed out on this beach on our first trip. It is soft white sand probably 200 feet wide and stretches for literaly miles to the south. Lots of little spots to buy a beer or a bite to eat.

All other attractions that you could take the big tour bus to in the area are absolutly do-able on your own.

Transportation is cheap in comparison to back home.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Ensenada, Valle de Guadalupe
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

We DIY all our own tours when in Riviera Maya (we used to do the cattle-herding tours 10 years ago and learned the hard way). Our best guide so far are the Map Chik maps (google). This contains maps, reviews of attractions and restaurants, etc.. We have had some awesome fun with these. Vancouversundog also has some fun DIY excursions that we have used over the years.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

I only do DIY. Read up on it first. Maybe get a Mapchick Map. Nothing to dear. Folks are just as helpful and friendly as can be. No problem if you do not speak any Spanish. You can do what YOU want without times and other restrictions that a group would bring. Not that organized tours are bad. Just know not really needed by many folks. The only thing I would encourage if going to Mayan Ruins-do hire a guide to make it all real and understandable-their lives, cultures, etc.

Have fun!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Hi Vancouversundog,

Where do I find these tips you are referring to? We are also DIY people and like all of the tips you provide, so we don;t want to leave in vacation in 6 days!!!! without checking out your advice.

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,047 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Here are 13 pages of places to explore

tripadvisor.ca/…35585095

cheshire
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Exploring the 'DIY' way!!

Thanks so much guys much appreciated we've booked the xel-ha trip through with the rep but are going to explore the ruins and other areas ourselves can not wait to go less than two weeks now :)