We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

We are going to PDC this week (!) and plan on spending a day in Akumal snorkeling in Akumal Beach, Half Moon Bay, Yal-ku Lagoon, also going to Cenote Santa Cruz. I have a few questions:

1. Since scuba rental at Akumal Beach and Yal-ku Lagoon is for the day, can we just bring it from 1 location to the next?

2. What order would you suggest we do this in - have read Yal-ku, Half Moon then Akumal ... what is your experience/suggestion?

3. Does anyone know the best way to book an trip to the Cenote Santa Cruz? We're letting weather dictate the day we go so don't know the day yet.

Thanks - RJ

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

It is best to go to both Akumal and Yal-Ku early to beat the tours. Given the huge influx of daytrippers I saw last

year when staying on Half Moon Bay, I would be inclined to visit Akumal first. Yes, Yal-Ku gets tours but probably not anywhere near the number that Akumal does. You'll likely have HMB pretty much to yourself and a handful of others. Just be careful that is not too windy there as it will stir up the currents.

Frankly I have never heard of scuba at Yal-Ku, maybe Vancouver Sundog can answer that.

Sorry not familiar with that cenote.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

I only mean snorkeling - we won't be doing scuba here. Thanks

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

If you did want to do scuba in Akumal there are two dive shops plus another on Half Moon Bay. I cannot scuba, but Ivan and Natalie work out of the Dive Center next to Lol-Ha restaurant and come highly recommended, met Natalie last year at breakfast with a friend.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

Thank you. And if I rent the snorkel gear at one shop I can carry it around to the different locations all day - right? I heard they request a down payment. Is this by credit card?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,630 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

email both dive shops to confirm

How are you getting around?? Taxi / car rental / golf cart rental

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

Probably by foot. Have read about the golf cart for $20/4hrs and bike $8, but we are trying to spend our $ where it matters - great sites, experiences, food...

BTW the cenote has a website and tripadvisor info. Got a reply from my email to them today with times they are available during my stay (9am/2pm for 2 hours), where to meet ( Akumal Pueblo where a little supermarket called SIX is located), price $30. Does anyone know how to get to Akumal Pueblo, I suppose I could ask around but it's nice to know ahead of time.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

Check out the maps (top question)

Same road into Akumal beach - go east across the highway - you are in the pueblo

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

There is a pedestrian overpass (also one for cars if you want to take a taxi) from Akumal to the Pueblo.

Yes you can rent snorkel gear from Akumal Dive Shop or Akumal Dive Center and take it to Yal-Ku, HMB, etc. Not sure about the deposit.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,430 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

The walk in to Akumal Beach from the highway is .6 kilometers . It is two kilometers to Yal Ku from the Dive shop and so a little over 5 km round trip , walking to Yal Ku from the highway and back with minimal exploring . The walk over the foot bridge to the pueblo is another half a km or so .

All of these places are easily walkable but it does take time .

Wind , wave and sun conditions can greatly affect the ocean snorkel spots' visibility and so a decision on order can be different from one day to the next . Personally I would rent gear at Akumal Bay and snorkel there right away , checking out your gear as a bonus . You can take your rented gear wherever you please .

Halfmoon Bay almost always is rougher than Akumal Bay and may not be completely safe for someone unfamiliar with conditions and the entry is always more difficult on broken shell and coral fragments over a hard ironshore base . People snorkel there all the time but if it's windy they don't and so if you had to drop an activity that would be the one .

Budget sounds like it may be a factor and so with the entry cost of Yal Ku and the greater distance some people might drop that activity in favour of Akumal and Halfmoon Bays' free snorkels with the Halfmoon warnings from above in mind .

I also hadn't heard much about cenote Santa Cruz but it sounds wonderful and someone commented that they brought rented gear from Akumal . Someone else commented that the price was the same with or without gear .

Doing Akumal Bay , Halfmoon Bay and Yal Ku AND then the cenote in the afternoon is possible but not very relaxing and can make for a lot of hot walking .

I may sound negative but we love all the snorkel spots and spend hours and days at each . My advice is meant constructively to inform . I might skip Halfmoon and Yal Ku entirely in favour of two or three tours of Akumal Bay which has plenty to offer at the edges and in the middle .

It depends on your age and cardio tolerance and choices of seeing lots of places or seeing one or two places more completely .

It's all good .

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
283 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day on Akumal: ? on gear, loctn order & c. santa cruz

+1 for Juanrojo. I completely agree with that assessment.

I would pick 2, and those would probably be Yal Ku and Akumal Bay. If you walk, I would walk to Yal Ku first thing in the morning and snorkel there. On way back I would break up the walk by stopping for lunch at La Buena Vida. You'll see what everyone means about the bay while there. If you decide to snorkel out, so be it, you're there. But I would rest at LBV, then walk back to Akumal Bay. From there I would snorkel out to the reef and see what it has to offer. That's what I prefer.

I've done this exactly, including mixing in HMB, all on foot. It wears you out. Now, I'm a golf cart guy. Seems like money well spent to me. Also, you can rent your snorkel gear from the dive shop and take it with you over to Yal Ku.