We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla mujeres

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Isla mujeres

How far from mayan riviera? Worth going for a day? Comparable to day trip to cozumel?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
41,533 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Isla mujeres

Its a long day - private / direct ride plus ferry will take 2 hours each way

Cozumel will take you 90 minutes (including ferry)

Or think about an overnight stay in Isla

Here is my experience / ssuggestions (also noted in the Top Question for "ideas where to go"

Here is my ISLA tour - although I always stay a minimum of 4+ days on lsa to enjoy the 150+ restuareant/ eateries on this tiny island

Just stayed at the #1 Mexican B&B (Casa Sirena) fantastic place. Highlights:

Fantastic bfast each morning (except Sunday)

Great top deck view (360) of all of ISLA

Happy Hour with free drinks on the rooftop with top locals visiting the place

Very central in the city

Decor wonderful

Host (Steve) - a warm loving host

But to visit ISLA:

It is 90 minutes from Akumal

Price out taxis / Canda Transfers for a return trip

Go to the Puerto Juarez ferry in the Cancun area

Buy 1 one way ferry (each 30 minutes ) for 70 pesos

Rent a golf cart on the other side if you want to tour the island - ask that you want all seats front facing about $40-50 US for the day - I bring an old DL that I leave with them

Pre-ordert the Map Chicks Isla map for the best time (it gives you the golf cart tour)

Places to see:

Head south (lots of roads are one way so easy to follow) along the east side (wild side)

Stop anywhere you want) like the sea shell or crayon house

Stop at the south end (PUNTA SUR) and walk about

Swim/snorkel - Garrafon Park

Then Beach clubs / must see places on the west/inside of the Island

- El Pueblito

- Playa Lancheros

- Turtle farm

- Zamas Beach Club

- Floating Island (on 120,000 plastic bottles)

- El Veradero restaurant

- Chuck Kay Restaurant

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,536 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Isla mujeres

We quite like Isla Mujeres...our last two trips to this coast have been 2 one-week trips to Isla, in fact.

But we made five trips to this area, staying in or near Playa del Carmen, before going to Isla the first time for that first one week vacation. It's a long way for a day trip, for us it wasn't really worth it.

I think our next trip will combine Isla with Puerto Morelos, perhaps- as a whole week on Isla was a lot.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Isla mujeres

Thanks for the information, will do some research based on the advice...;)

Lacey, Washington
Level Contributor
175 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Isla mujeres

Having spent a month on Isla last Summer, I'd say it's worth the visit...but I agree with Vancouver...stay overnight and spend two days...lots of shops, great food, and go out and swim with the whale sharks. That alone is worth the trip, but it's going to take most of one day. Heading out to the south end of the island is also worth a trip. Incredibly beautiful...just be sure to pay to get in and walk all the way down the stairs on the cliffs and walk by the water. It will blow you away.

Edited: 27 March 2014, 02:27
5. Re: Isla mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2015, 06:15