We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly Fishing Akumal Area

Palisade, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Fly Fishing Akumal Area

We will be staying on Half Moon bay Oct. 14-21. Last year he shore fished all around Barceló Maya in Puerto Aventuras and LOVED IT!. Its my understanding that he cannot fish Half Moon Bay because its protected. We are not renting a car. I was wondering if there is anywhere in that area he can shore fish? I have looked up day trips but they are 550 for 2 ppl and it would only be him going. I will pay 250 for him to go but not 500. Any info would be AWESOME!!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,843 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

Not protected - not quite

You cannot fish from shore near a swimming area

Lots of rocky points on either side of Half Moon Bay

That said, on the Tulum road going into Sian Kaan, near the bridge is some fantastic fishing

This is from the Fishing Top Question

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k6565…

Palisade, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

how far is the bridge from where we are staying? Whats the best way to get there taxi or collective? TIA

essex
Level Contributor
252 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

It takes an hour or so by car to the bridge from akumal ...I have driven there and yes it's a stunning location ... I think other than driving it may be tricky to get there .. Others on ta could know another way .. If you do manage to get to the bridge find a parking place before you cross the bridge , on the left before the bridge you will find an opening in the trees , walk through the opening and carry on for about 100m . You will then come out to a fantastic beach area .. Myself being a keen angler noticed jack type fish chasing bait fish there .fly fishing would be ok if the wind was kind but a lure or spinner maybe better . I will be there sometime after the 22nd of May and will cast a line or two ...

Steamboat Springs...
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

I can tell you that Half Moon Bay, Akumal Bay and most of the shoreline heading south; Jade bay and Akumal Sur are really out of the picture. Loaded with bonefish and permit, but.... they really are off limits because of people using the beach.

The fishing down at Boca Paila bridge is definitely good. There is a huge sand flat inside the bridge and beach fishing outside the bridge, if it isn't too windy. Surf and waves can effect casting and fly control. I would say having your own vehicle to drive down there would be the ticket. It can be as little as an hour + to drive or over 2+ if the road is bad. Last I heard the road is bad. Since he knows the beach fishing by Aventuras, that may be his best choice close by.

Palisade, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

Thanks! He looked on Google Earth and there are no hotels north of yal ku lagoon. I wonder how good that would be? Can you rent a car in akumal vs. Cancun?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,843 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

The rocky points (Sur) on either side of HMB are very rocky

Thus no swimming

Thus you can fish there

College Station...
Level Contributor
310 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

We stay at Akumal South in a house and generally there are very few swimmers. So I fished in the mornings. very nice and caught a few bonefish. It is easy to avoid swimmers down there. Not possible in Akumal bay.

Many people make a big deal out of no fishing because they think you will affect their snorkeling and don't understand catch and release fishing. Just respect swimmers and snorkelers and stay well away from them and you will have no problems.

Palisade, Colorado...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

Thanks Everyone for the great INFO!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

My husband and I are staying on Half Moon Bay from 17 June for two weeks and Im sure he will be casting a line some where along this beach - he will respect the swimmers etc. We are hiring a car and will travel to find the best flats so he can DIY Fly Fish He is also booking a guide for about 4 days so I will let you know how he gets on and try and help you where to go. Regards Carole North Wales UK

College Station...
Level Contributor
310 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fly Fishing Akumal Area

Howdy from Texas Carol,

We will be in Akumal Sur from June7-14. I will be fishing. Will try to remember to post results and suggestions for you after.