We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Topic
Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Hi

We are travelling at the end of May from the UK, staying at the GBP Sian Kaan.

I have looked on the travel health website, and it is suggesting that Anti-Malaria tablets are necessary. Do other people usually take these when travelling to this area of Mexico?

Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,502 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

I have never heard of a case of malaria in that area. I am looking at this UK government map fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/north-ameri… and you can see that the Yucatan area is "zero to low risk" with anti-malarials not usually advised. So I don't think it's an issue.

Leeds
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Thank you

It was a different site that I had seen, but this looks really helpful!

Thanks again

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

we used to take them but last year we didnt for some reason we are going in may to gran bahia tulum hacienda but dont think we are going to take them as they didnt agree with me , takeing tabs with me for prickly heat , and plenty of spray with deet in because we got bitten to bits last yr even spraying the room and bedding as i even got bitten while inbed hope you enjoy yr holiday

Leeds
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Thanks for the tips!

Yes we are planning on getting some good bug spray!!

lowestoft suffolk
Level Contributor
733 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

The only vaccinations you need are the ones you have at home e.g tetanus etc but if you are concerned check with your gp, though you might want to check they are up to date . We have also had hep a as that is always a concern where ever you go even at home . We would only take malaria tablets if it was recommended for this area and it is not sp you should be fine.

Edited: 23 April 2014, 13:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

I think you'll read different information regarding this. Seems like all GP's say different things, best advise i can give is go with whatever your GP says, we told our GP where we are going and they advised us to have a couple of jabs (hadnt had a tetanus in 20 years so could have done with one of those anyway ..... also had Polio, Hep A and Diptheria. Malaria wasnt even mentioned to us.

See you there, we are heading out to SK on 15 May ...... not long now :)

Leeds
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Thanks for the tips!

Yes we are planning on getting some good bug spray!!

Leeds
Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Yeah we won't be bothering with malaria tablets. But we are making sure we are up to date with tetnus, hep a and typhoid.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

If you live in a country where dengue vaccine is available, you should strongly consider having that.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,463 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Malaria Tablets and Vaccinations

Yes- dengue is a bigger risk than malaria in this area, by far....but, still rare.

Malaria tabs definitely overkill for Mexico. I took them for Kenya and turned out I took them there unnecessarily too, and that was going by the travel doc's advice. They certainly don't always know or think of everything!