We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi's from South Akumal

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
taxi's from South Akumal

We are staying at Casa Playa Del Caribe in South Akumal in a week. We are wondering how much it costs for a taxi from South Akumal to Half Moon Bay, Akumal Bay and Akumal Pueblo? After looking at how much it costs to rent a car for 7 days, around $450 to $600 it seems more economical to get a taxi.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

Taxis are about 140-150 pesos each way to Akumal Playa or Pueblo

Add up to 100 pesos extra to Half Moon Bay

$450 to $600 for a car rental is very high - where did you get that quote?

1st : How many of there are you

In addition to taxis, you will need to pay for your airport transfers so factor that in

I pay for a sub-compact ($30-35 a day with all insurance) which is great for 2 people with luggage from the airport

Or rent a sub-compact after you get to the Casa for travelling for 4-5 people

Edited: 16 May 2014, 02:22
Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

Its my wife, 2 year old son and I. I need a car seat for my son. This is actually a ten day trip for us, we are starting the first leg of our trip at Villa Del Palmar for 2 days (getting there via USA transport, we use them all the time and had a great experience during our trip to Isla Mujeres in August) After two days at the resort we are heading to Adventuras Akumal for one night to stay at Villas De Rosa and then to the house. I have a $190 quote to go from the airport to the resort, then the resort to hotel, and then the house to airport. There were also be 8 other people at the house we are renting. My wife thinks we should rent a car either as soon as we get to cancun airport the first day and drop it off when we fly out. I don't want to deal with the hassle of the worries of driving in Mexico especially with a two year old. And the process of picking up the car and dropping it off with our son I think economically it'd be better to do the transportation service for major runs and taxi for local (akumal.)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

The car rental company I use (Caribbean/America) provides car seats and has a 7th day free / pay for 6

Worked out to $31 a day.

Subtract your 190$ USA Transfer, your car rental will cost under $120 for 10 days

Add about 400-500 pesos in GAS

My car rental hints are

tripadvisor.ca/…48832482

Your wife is wise

You spend 30-45 minutes picking up the car, but its very quick (5-10 minutes) to drop off the car

Your choice

Oak Park, Illinois
Level Contributor
41 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

That sounds great to me but can I pick it up at the airport? And what about insurance? I've done a couple mock bookings and the insurance has been a back breaker. Is there a website for this rental company you suggest? And what about easy car? Sorry about all the questions but i live the idea of having a car at my disposal I just don't want to spend a ton of money. We usually go to Isla and I've never had to worry about renting a car since you could walk anywhere and taxis are everywhere plus they are cheap

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

Caribbean/America has offices everywhere

Their Airport office s just outside of the airport on the main 307 hwy

They will pick you up / drop you off at the airport from the office

As mentioned all insurance including 0 deductible collision is included

The only thing not included (Optional with all Mexico rental - and in Canada) is tires/glass - I skipped it last time

http://www.america-carrental.com/

Read my FAQ/Tip thread I provided

Just got back from 14 day rental

I used them for when I did 2 part trips (hald at Akumal / half at Isla or Coz)

6. Re: taxi's from South Akumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2015, 10:16