We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akumal all inclusive - need input

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south dakota
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Akumal all inclusive - need input

Our group of about 12 will be returning to the Mayan Riviera in Feb of 2007. This time decided to focus our options in and around Akumal. Looking for all-inclusive with good food, nice beach, and a pool for volleyball. Snorkeling seems to be great throughout the area. Would like feedback among these three choices: Akumal Beach Resort, Bahia Principe, or hold out for the new Grand Sirenis. I understand no one can comment first-hand on the Sirenis, but what would you do in our situation? Thanks in advance.

ladysmith canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

the first guests seem to be at the sirenis now so perhaps in the next few weeks there will be a review or two. i too have done some extensive research before booking and decided on the bahia principe akumal. the rooms seem to be nicer than the sister hotel tulum and closer to the beach than the coba. all junior suites in the akumal and some wonderful reviews. we also have two sets of neighbours that have stayed at this resort and nothing but raves. you can use the pools at all three resorts. i am going first two weeks of december and will be sure to write a review myself. good luck making your decision

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

Akumal Beach Resort is a 3* with very basic rooms, mediocre food, but a good snorkeling beach. It's not in the same category as the other two.

san diego, ca
Level Contributor
1,763 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

We stayed at the Bahia Principe Akumal this past April and we were very happy there ( it will meet all your listed needs). We will defintely return there.

We are booked at the Grand Sirenis for next APril and anxiously awaiting trip reports. It hopefully will combine a superb snorkeling beach with great amenitites (lazy river, room service, ect.). The resort is all junior suites or better, and they look awesome!

I can't comment on the ABR with my own experience as we have not visited there, but they have a very loyal following, and the snorkeling is reportedly awesome. It is definitely listed as a 3* resort, so the accomodations, facilities, and food probably aren't going to be comparable to a 4 or 5 * property.

south dakota
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

Thanks everyone! Other comments welcome, but this certainly gives me a good start.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

We've stayed at 3 different all-inclusives in Akumal (Bahia Principe once, ABR 5 times and Oasis Akumal 3 times). The Oasis is now the Grand Oasis Akumal.

It all depends on what you want and what makes you happy. Our favorite is the ABR, because we care more about the beach, snorkeling and service than the room. The food and rooms were the best at the Bahia, but we really did not like the Bahia at all. It was too large for us, and we were very disappointed with the beach and snorkeling there. It felt more like Las Vegas than Mexico to us. We much prefer smaller places. In fact, we usually stay for 2-3 weeks and stay at a real small place the latter haldf of the vacation (non AI).

I'm hearing mixed reviews about the Sirenis. I've spent a great deal of time at their beach (Xaac), snorkeling, but will say that the beach area is very small relative to the size of the resort. I also think they are experiencing typical "new resort" troubles. I would wait awhile to see if it improves before I would book there.

Both the Grand oasis Akumal and the ABR have excellent beaches, with the Grand Oasis Akumal being fancier. As I said, it really depends on what makes you happy!

south dakota
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

HeidiCO,

Could you comment on the food among those you listed. Are there significant differences? Thanks.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

Of the three that I have been to, the Bahia had the best food, followed by the ABR, followed by the Oasis Akumal. I don't know what the food is like now at the Grand Oasis Akumal since it was renovated and is now more upscale.

Alot of people diss the food at Akumal Beach Resort, but we find it comparable to most AIs (and we've been to about 10 different AIs in the general Mayan Riviera area).

The buffet is always good for breakfast, and I usually find the selection just fine for other meals. I have to admit, we usually just stay at the pool/beach snack bar for lunch and they have excellent pizza and guacamole. The Mexican and Italian a la carte restaurants are pretty good, with very nice service.

We always get sick of the food at the AIs toward the end of our stay anyway, regardless of which one it is. The food at the AIs is just usually on the bland side, as they cater to a lot of people who are not very adventurous when it comes to food. We also go out for several meals outside the resort, in the town of Akumal and Tulum. There are some great restaurants around. What you save by going to the ABR usually affords you the opportunity to try different restaurants in the area.

Hope that helps.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
161 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

We have booked the Grand Sirenis for Sept. 18 for just 3 nights to see what it is like. Apple had a special that was too good to pass up. I will post a full review when we return. Sounds like it's pretty remote, but if there is no beach I will be extremely disappointed. Also wondering how far to the town of Akumal and if there is a cab or bus service from the Sirenis.

Colorado
Level Contributor
282 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

It's not all that remote, but nothing is walkable from there. A short cab ride will bring you into the town of Akumal.

MI
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Akumal all inclusive - need input

Heidi, could you tell me a little about the snorkeling at the GORM?

I'm really on the fence about booking ABR. Basically, I'm just a little scared because I'm not sure I really know what a 3* resort is.

Anyway, with the GORM being a little fancier and if the snorkeling there is pretty good, I would like to consider it. So . . . tell me about the snorkeling. How deep is the water where the best snorkeling is located? Are there multiple areas to snorkel? Thanks.