We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gbp akumal

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
1 review
Save Topic
gbp akumal

hi... going here in 6 days. have ordered all mexican pesos... we plan to do maybe 1 or 2 trips.. use the collectivo/taxis.. and maybe buy few things in hotel.... will i be ok with pesos... alot of mixed reviews bout currency to bring

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,948 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: gbp akumal

where are the mixed reviews??

The hotel may have some things priced in US$

Just ask for the peso price

As long as the exchange rate is under 13 to 1, you will be fine

Remember the items will be more expensive than elsewhere

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: gbp akumal

Most tourist sites are listed in pesos and exchange is best on credit card. Most restaurants take credit cards,but tips for staff are preferred cash (USD/Euro is fine). There are ATM where CEA(ecologic center) is located. To do more fun activites on your your time, renting a car is invaluable. Best rates are on Orbitz , try to stay for Avis, Hertz as those agencies have well maintained cars, plus locations are nearby in Tulum. Have a great time.

Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gbp akumal

We took all Pesos, only unexpected difficulty was Cancun airport, they had prices in USD only so had to convert to Pesos and I'm sure that cost us more, in essence we'd gone from Sterling to Peso to USD!

Everywhere else we just used Pesos. Though we didn't spend as much as we thought we might so lost quite a bit converting back to sterling when we got home. If we'd taken the bulk in USD we'd probably have hung on to them for a future trip to USA.

Don't get me wrong, loved Mexico but big world lots to see.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,948 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: gbp akumal

quote: only unexpected difficulty was Cancun airport, they had prices in USD

The liquor stores are in US $ and do not give a great exchange rate - I use my credit card

All the airport restaurants are priced in pesos

glasgow
Level Contributor
34 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gbp akumal

Hi Sean my wife and I took pesos and us dollar with us last year and will do the same this year, we had no problems whatsoever with both currencies. The collective into Playa Del Carmen was $3 US one way and you can stop them right outside the hotel. Most of the taxis outside the hotel will haggle with you for best price but we found them reasonable. Enjoy the resort is outstanding.

kevin

Mentioned in this post
Playa del Carmen
Playa del Carmen
Riviera Maya, Mexico
6. Re: gbp akumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 May 2014, 15:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
395 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gbp akumal

Remember because of geography, Mexico is far more popular with people from America and Canada than from the UK. Mexico is consequently geared up to accommodate them. But if you are changing pound sterling it makes more sense to take the local currency with you. Ice online generally give good rates and are worth checking out.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
8. Re: gbp akumal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 05:16