We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP change of facilites!!!!

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
GBP change of facilites!!!!

We have just returned from a 2 week stay at Coba and have been looking to book again for November. We have also stayed at Tulum and each time we have been have been allowed to use the facilities of all 3 hotels.

I have just spoken with Thomas Cook (we are based in the UK) and asked them to look at a price for Tulum (they don't do bookings for Akumal or Coba) and they told me that as of 1st November Tulum guests can only use the facilities of Coba and not Akumal.

This is the first I have heard of this and cannot see anything on their website about it. Has anyone else head this? I have emailed all 3 hotels to ask them what the situation is but they don't always reply straight away so thought id ask here while im waiting.

Thanks

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

YES, this is true. Akumal section is becoming a Don Pablo luxury - sorta like Sian Kaan but they will allow children. So it will become a higher end portion of the resort that will not be accessible to guests who dont book there.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,424 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

A few other current threads on this same subject

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k7451…

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

If we book animal then can we use the other 2 still? Akumal is only a few £ more at the mo to book than coba

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,424 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

I would book Animal instead (I love spell correction)

Buffalo, NY
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

YES. Book Akumal/Animal :) :)

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
112 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

Stupid phone lol

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
131 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

Now is a good time to book Akumal as Thompson and first Choice are still showing the prices as similar to the Coba prices. They haven't yet allowed for the fact it will be a Don Pablo :-)

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

Sounds like a disaster in the making. I assume people staying at Coba will not have access to snack bars or pools at beach. Nobody will want to stay at Coba. Akumal prices go up. No Thanks.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

I don't know how they will monitor it especially the pool at Akumal as it's always busy, so will they have someone going round checking people's bands and then kicking then off the beds if it's the wrong color?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GBP change of facilites!!!!

They will be able to monitor it by the wrist bands. We saw people without correct wrist bands refused to be served at SK beach bar Security are always walking round to make sure people are in the right area etc.