We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Palladium

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
793 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Palladium

Sorry in advance but I have lots more questions!

How much in pesos do you tip bartender, maid, waiters, collectivo drivers etc?

We want to snorkel with turtles in Akumal and go to Cozumel for snorkelling too. Is it worth doing Cozumel too?

Going beginning of July, will there be a battle for sunbeds on the beach or by the pools?

I have tried to find answers to these questions but advice seems very conflicting so can anyone offer advice who has been fairly recently?

Thanks.

Akumal Dive Shop
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Fishing Charters & Tours
Akumal Bay Dive Center
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Palladium

Tipping, we would tip 20 pesos for drinks, 20 pesos for the mini bar, 50 pesos for the maid, 20 - 40 pesos buffet breakfast / lunch, 50-100 pesos for dinner.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Palladium

There are plenty of loungers and plenty of shade. Never had a problem getting either.

There is good snorkeling from the beach so not sure I would go to Cozumel.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
793 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Palladium

Thanks both of you. We paln to snorkel at the hotel and Akumal. Never snorkelled anywehere other than the med before so I'm sure we will be amazed! The only reason we were wanting to go to Cozumel was that i had thought the best snorkelling was there.

With the tipping, do you tip as you go along or leave an envelope at the end of the holiday. That's what we have done before.

are there many shops in hotel or is it best to do souvenir shopping elsewhere? If so, where?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Palladium

here is a good "how much to Tip" thread from Top Questions

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k7446…

Cozumel snorkeling is via boats in deeper water. Very clear - there are two great places called Palancar Reef and Columbia Reef

Try this link

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/snorkeling

Also consider a Whale Shark snorkeling excursion

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Palladium

Hi,

Tip as you go along, especially for housekeeping, as the maid you have on your last day may not be the one who's been cleaning your room for the previous days:)

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
793 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Palladium

Thanks for the tips (pardon the pun). If we go to Cozumel we were thinking of going somewhere like Money Bar that has shallow snorkelling. How does it compare with the snorkelling at Akumal?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Palladium

Yes tip as you go, expecially housekeeper as that may change by the end of the week. Also leave a tip in fridge for fridge person.

Many vendors are brought in each night and there are some shops but I would take a colectivo to PDC, Akumal or Tulum for souvenir shopping.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Palladium

The airport actually has some reasonable stuff, little trinket type souvenirs, inexpensive jewelry. If you are not after something specific, it isn't a bad option for a little bits and bobs.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,704 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Palladium

You will probably have time at the airport to shop as Emma suggested. If you want a good selection of vanilla I suggest you get it before you get to the airport as their selection is limited. I found the best selection at Playa Mart on Fifth Ave. Also a store in Akumal; MexicArte? that has unique gifts.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
793 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Palladium

I was mewhere to browse around rather than a specific shop with somewhere to have a drink and do a bit of people watching. Is it 5th avenue that's good for this?