We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Leeds, United...
14 posts
Save Topic
Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Hello,

We travel to Mexico from the UK in August for the first time,and would be greatful if anyone could help me with the details needed on the tourist card.

Our daughters friend is coming with us (aged 15),would there be any information on the card that my daughters friend may not necessarily know,eg parents DOB,passport numbers etc.

I have also being told that a letter is needed stating that her parents give permission to be taken out of the UK,I have tried to look this up online but info is all different.

If anyone has taken childrens friends on holiday to Mexico would be great to know if a letter was needed.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

First of all, here's a link to what the tourist card looks like so you can prepare yourself with all the requisite info for your kid's friend - http://www.mapchick.com/mexican-tourist-card/

With respect to the consent letter, here's a link to one that's recommended by the Canadian government (I realise you're from the UK but this form is pretty generic) - travel.gc.ca/docs/child/consent-letter_lettr…

FWIW, when we took my daughter's friend with us to Mexico, no-one asked for the letter. However, had anyone asked for it and we didn't have it, we could've been denied boarding at the airport or denied entry to Mexico. My understanding is that such documentation gets asked for rarely but if you don't have it, you're hooped.

Since your daughter's friend doesn't live at your address, I'm pretty sure you'll also need to fill out a Customs Declaration form as well as those are one per household - mapchick.com/mexican-customs-declaration-car…

NB - you can't print these forms out and complete them in advance; you MUST use the forms provided on the plane.

Finally, if you've never been through Cancun airport before, you might want to read this thread that details the process and cautions you about a few things you need to watch out for - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k71…

Happy travels!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Leeds, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Thanks for your reply Llisa,

I had a bit of a panic there and thought i might have to get a legal document drawn up by a solicitor to give consent.

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Nah, you can prepare the documents yourself and just have it signed by a notary.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

The UK requirements are here: www.gov.uk/permission-take-child-abroad

You can create your own travel consent form here: lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/travel-consent-uk/

Mexico has no requirements - you just have to convince UK authorities that you are not abducting the child!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,533 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Agree Mexico has no requirements. But often the only requirement that matters is what the Mexican Immigration officer you deal with upon arrival happens to want. When I worked for the airlines, we had several passengers in this situation refused entry, due to lack of the authorization, and they were immediately put on the next plane out. So, you can never be too prepared.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,404 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

We took a friend for our daughter several times and always had a parental letter of authorization. Also added a sentence regarding permission to authorize medical treatment if necessary. We were asked for the letter coming back into the US but not going into Mexico.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,504 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

"When I worked for the airlines, we had several passengers in this situation refused entry" - yes, but the law changed January this year. It shouldn't happen now.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,533 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

I am well aware the law changed. But it doesn´t mean much in Mexico. They may still ask. It does not hurt to be prepared.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Leeds, United...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

Thanks for your replies everyone,

I rang the Travel Agents and asked if they are aware of any such documents needed & if they had heard of such an incident occurring where entry and exit was refused if the docs were'nt provided,the answer was no,the lady basically said if it was a personal choice she would not get the docs(signed by a notary would cost around £50-£100),but would print off the consent letter as advised by Llisa above,and get photcopies of my childs friends parents passports showing that signatures matched the consent letter,and SHOULD be ok,she was really quite vague and seemed reluctant to commit to a yes or no with regards to the official docs.

I am a bit of a panicker and would hate to run into any problems,

should i just go with the above and cross my fingers and toes?

Again Thanks to everyone who has replied,and am i just being over cautious?

Calgary
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Tourist Card & requirements for taking sons friend

One of the posters on these forums, Maried, is a travel agent here in Canada. She reports that she has had a few clients denied boarding at the airport for not having "proper" consent. Whether that means notarized or not, I don't know.

The problem with relying on the advice of the Travel Agent is that they aren't going to be the ones stuck at the airport watching their plane head off to Mexico while they're still stuck on the ground arguing with some airport official.

The other thing to bear in mind is that you have TWO hurdles to overcome, not just one.

The first is being allowed to board your aircraft - you might want to call your airline and see if they have any policy in this regard.

The second is getting through Immigration in Cancun. Personally, I think this is the lesser of the two issues but just because you're allowed on the plane, that's not a guarantee that the authorities in Mexico will let you in.

At the end of the day, it's your call - pay (or waste, depending on your view) 50-100 quid for a document that you may never need to produce or roll the dice.

FWIW, I'm tend to over-analyze things too and always err on the side of caution. However, I work in the legal field and that's what I get paid to do! Thanks to my employment connections, getting documents notarized doesn't cost anything, so for me, this situation is a no brainer. If I had to pony up 100 quid though, I might reconsider.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico