We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing list (what to bring)

San Diego...
4 posts
Save Topic
Packing list (what to bring)

Staying at the GBP, on the 21st... It's so close!!! It came up so fast I'm stressing out on what I need to bring with me please help. Asides from the things that are a given ie. clothes swim wear toiletries

1.Bio degradeable sunscreen

2. Beach towels

3. Aloe verra gel

4. Water shoes

5. Sounds like some mugs are a good idea.

This is where I draw blanks???? Thanks guy's!

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

Hotels usually provide towels. Towels take up too much room in a suitcase, IMO.

My daughter brings bug spray.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
27,471 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

I don't think I'd bring beach towels..the hotel will provide them for you, and they're heavy and bulky to travel with

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
412 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

I disagree, we took some thin'ish bright coloured beach towels to mark out our sun bed better and to cover the bottom of the it where the GBP towel doesn't reach. We got 1 each from GBP.

Mozzie deterrent is a must, I got about 27 'bites' because I'd been lazy about using it. Also an anti-itch cream could be useful (mine had gone out of date so wasn't effective).

Took advice from here and took some 'Bubba' mugs - brilliant. Coffee in it in the morning and cocktails/cold drinks all day. There are rather a lot of ants on the beach near the Palapas and no little tables.

Edited: 07 June 2014, 15:49
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

Another vote for no beach towels.

Here's what I bring:

- Kindle/e-reader;

- small medical kit - band aids, bug bite stuff, Tyenol; Pepto tablets;

- SPF lip balm (sunscreen tastes awful and sunburnt lips HURT)

- bug spray (available at resorts but expensive)

- large ziplock style bags - a myriad of uses, including a way to pack that still-damp bathing suit when it's time to come home;

- suction cup hooks for putting in shower or over bathtub for hanging bathing suits to dry (I don't like putting my things over the balcony - they can get dirty/stained from the railing or can blow away if a wind comes up. They can also get poohed on by birds - never an issue for me but I saw it happen to my neighbour on our last trip; and

- extra battery and SD cards for camera. If I don't have a way to download my photos daily, I like to change out the SD card. That way, if my camera gets lost or stolen, I won't lose ALL my vacation pictures.

I take a LOT less in the way of clothing and shoes than I used to. Since I spend most of my days at the beach, a bikini, a cover up and flip flops are all I need. I'll toss in ONE pair of shorts and a couple of tops for excursions and then ONE dress for every two nights of vacation for evening wear (it's not a fashion parade and if anyone cares that I've worn the same dress twice then PPTHHPTHPFFTHPPP to you!) and ONE pair of heels for evening use.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
20,108 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

"ONE dress for every two nights of vacation for evening wear (it's not a fashion parade and if anyone cares that I've worn the same dress twice then PPTHHPTHPFFTHPPP to you!)"

A woman after my own heart :) I do the same. In fact, I've been known to wear a dress three times, lol.

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

I always pack a small flashlight in my bag. I have no idea why.

I also pack a long piece of string. I run it through the arms and legs of clothing that I am drying on the Lani. It keeps things from blowing away.

Tylenol is a must.

Water shoes for sure

A Buff (like what they use on the show survivor.) You car wrap it on your wrist and hide your hotel bracelet. This is handy when going on tours or into town. It keeps people from pretending they know you form your resort. Its also great to dip into water and then wear on your head to keep you cool. I never travel without a few of them.

2 bathing suits and 2 pairs of sneakers. I always let one pair dry for a full day before I wear them again. Yes sneakers need to dry out too. After all you do sweat in them.

A chlorine tablet (for a swimming pool). I use it to disinfect the private Jacuzzi in the room.

baby wipes. versatile little things that also work to keep mosquitos away.

my Tablet!! it has books, music and movies on it. Great for the flight, sitting by the pool or for a movie night if you want to just stay in and relax one night.

Cash

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

Zip lock bags!!!!!!!

They keep products from spilling into my luggage. . . . think shampoo and stuff like that.

They keep my tooth brush clean

They keep my cell phone dry. Use 2 bags and never worry about having your phone in your pocket again. I can swim with my phone.

They can even be used for a wallet.

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,623 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

"A Buff (like what they use on the show survivor.) You car wrap it on your wrist and hide your hotel bracelet. This is handy when going on tours or into town. It keeps people from pretending they know you form your resort. "

I've stayed at places with no wrist bands (resorts and condos) but it doesn't stop the vendors trying to con you into believing that they know you. I just laugh ... and keep walking!

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

The next time someone pretends to remember you from your resort, tell them emphatically they are correct and that they borrowed money from you last night. Then ask them for the money back.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing list (what to bring)

Omg Magill, that's awesome! I am totally doing that next time. lol

Edited: 07 June 2014, 17:22