We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sian Kaan Biosphere

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sian Kaan Biosphere

Anyone been to the biosphere? Read some good reviews & sounds like something we would enjoy. Looked at the website & can book through them but looking at other sites they offer tours as well but not sure if it's the same thing as there seems to be different aspects to each. We'd be looking at doing the canal tour, not the fishing or anything & like that. I think the price theough the site also includes a pick up ( we will be at GBP)

Has anyone been & any advice?

Thanks

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
40,806 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

try this set of reviews - haven't been myself - next time :-)

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g1200819-d5…

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

Been there but not for several years, just drove myself in a rental car. Have not taken a tour there but there are several out there that are highly recommended.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

Thanks for the replies. We were thinking of getting on the collectivo to get there if we can, just saw the tour option on the webpage

55vineyard, did you just walk around yourself when you got there or do the canal trip? Did you have to book as I'm guessing they only have so many boats to take people round

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

First time, we just drove to Punta Allen, stopping to look at the bridge, and to pay our fee at the visitor center and also stopped at a beach (lots of trash washes up which is a shame). We did not care for the vibe in Punta Allen for some reason so just turned around and drove back to Tulum for a late lunch.

Second time I was by myself (bit difficult to be both driver and navigator) and only drove as far as Rancho Sol Caribe, where I had a couple of beers and chatted with Michael, the owner at the time, and another couple who were down there to fish. So no, sorry, did not see the canals other than from the road.

Hope you have a great trip.

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
351 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

Two years ago, I drove down to Punta Allen. It was a pretty drive, but the road can be really (really, really!) bad at times. Had a nice lunch in Punta Allen, then came back. It was worth doing, but there isn't actually a ton to see from the road, as much of the road has pretty thick jungle on either side.

This April, my group took the Mayan Canal boat ride from the laguna, and I would highly recommend it! We stopped at the entrance to the Muyil ruins and talked to the guy there (I believe it is through Community Tours Sian Ka'an, which is a Mayan Ecotourism Co-op. Regardless, it is official.) about the boat tours. We booked the long tour through the canals and out under the Boca Paila bridge, then back, of course. For our group of 6 it worked out to about $50 each, though we paid in pesos. From there, we got back in our car and followed his motor scooter down a rocky road to the laguna. Our tour did not include lunch, which I gather is included with the (far more expensive) tours through CESiak, or some other companies. It was simple and great! Highly recommend it! Make sure to wear your bathing suits and water shoes, as the canal float was incredible!

6. Re: Sian Kaan Biosphere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2015, 05:17