We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anti-malarials do we need them??

Lancaster, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Anti-malarials do we need them??

First time to Mexico, staying at GBP Tulum.

Doctors surgery telling me we need anti-malaria tablets but websites telling me we don't.

Can anyone let me know what they think, or if you take them.

Thanks Clare x

London, United...
Level Contributor
391 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anti-malarials do we need them??

…scot.nhs.uk/destinations/north-america/mexi…

This suggests there is little risk. So it has to be your call. You will probably need some sort of insect repellant though - with deet in it too.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anti-malarials do we need them??

Lol.. Nope, no malaria there on our last couple of visits, nor did we speak to anyone that had shots...

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
673 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anti-malarials do we need them??

Been to Mexico several of times, our first time we asked the doctor about it and he said we do not need it as the risk is really, really low. We went to Punta Cana one year and that's when we were advised that it would be a good idea.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anti-malarials do we need them??

Very little malaria risk in Mexico. Some risk of dengue but nothing can prevent it other than avoiding mosquito bites. You do want to do that. I had dengue and you don´t want it.

5. Re: Anti-malarials do we need them??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 06:16