We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

We are looking at booking a few nights at either one of these places next may. We were in the area last April staying further north but spent a day snorkeling at Akumal and decided to add a few days there to our next trip. There will be 3 of us; my husband and I, and my sister. We are all in our 60s and are avid scuba divers, snorkelers, and beach lovers! We don't like or need huge, 5 star resorts. We will book either 2 beachfront hotel rooms at HAC or a casita with 2 bedrooms at Las Casitas. Having been to the area we are generally familiar with the bay. But we are not familiar with these two places. I know one is a hotel, with a pool, and meals are next door at Lol Ha restaurant. Las Casitas is more like staying in a condo and would probably afford more privacy. We will have had a total of 10 days in a condo before arriving at Akumal so we might be ready for the ease of the hotel. Knowing that I am aware of the basic differences between staying in a hotel vs. a condo, is there anything else that will help me decide? I know there is construction south of HAC and wonder if that will be an issue? Is having a pool really necessary since the sea is so wonderful? We would have second floor balconies at HAC and the price for 2 rooms would be just very slightly more than a Casita. Opinions on service, location, etc. or any advice is appreciated.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,397 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

Actually Las Casitas are ocean front but with out a pool but a great garden veranda , full kitchen - my choice

It would be my choice over HAC, which rooms look over the pool, with the beach further away (ocean view)

As far as meals for HAC, these you pay for except a continental bfast

Las Casitas is a few minutes walk so no disadvantage over HAC

Let us know what you decide

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,559 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

I've only stayed at HAC, many times over the years, to me a pool is important and Las Casitas does not have one, plus HAC provides a voucher for free continental breakfast at Lol-Ha which of course you can upgrade if you wish.

Many folks do love Las Casitas however. IMO they are a bit pricey for what you get and the stretch of road in front of there really needs to be repaired, was very bumpy in May when driving from Half Moon Bay to Lol-Ha for breakfast.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,397 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

quote: so we might be ready for the ease of the hotel

Not sure what you mean by this

HAC room's will be about $180 a night - did you want 1 or 2 rooms

Las Casita (2 bdrm condo) will cost $250-300

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

Thanks to you all. The rooms we are looking at at HAC are $149 +tax so probably about $180 a night. So you are right. The casitas are about 295 for the largest so, as I said, a bit cheaper. As far as "ease of a hotel" i mean that we will have had 10 days in a condo in Mahahual preparing most of our meals, so not cooking and eating out, which is what a hotel entails, might be ok for us at that point. Just looking for the intangible differences that I might not be aware of. Thank you for the information.

Edited: 17 July 2014, 04:39
Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,397 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

You can eat out for both places

I bring back left overs, bring a pizza or bbq chciken / ribs back back to my condo - easy to warm up

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
62 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

I've stayed in HAC. We have Las Casitas booked for next March. You are an easy walk to the Akumal beach restaurants from either place. Casitas - bigger, cheaper for you as you'd need 2 hotel rooms, more comfortable, nice patio with table and chairs, BBQ grill available, free kayaks available, full kitchen. Even if you don't want to cook, it's nice to store and reheat leftovers and get takeout. HAC has the pool. Depends on how important the pool is to you, I think.

Napa Valley, CA
Level Contributor
2,005 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

Thank you. I will check with my sister about how important the pool is. I am also starting to look at the Cannon House Suite that is part of HAC, and I believe is located close to the Casitas. If we rent the Cannon House Suite we can use the pool at HAC and the suite, which sleeps 4 is only $194 + tax per night. So many choices but it is clear we cannot go wrong whatever we decide.

8. Re: Hotel Akumal Caribe or Las Casitas Akumal?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 06:15