We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Hello!

We'll be staying at the Hotel Akumal Caribe in December and will not be renting a car, as we really don't need one for most of what we have planned. However, I'm not sure what to do for transportation one day of our trip. . .

We plan to leave HAC, go to Rio Secreto for a 1pm tour, then head to PDC to poke around and have dinner, and then head back to Akumal. We'll be traveling with my parents in law, both of whom are 72. They're in decent shape, but wouldn't want to do a LOT of walking outside of the actual tour.

Will we need taxis, or will we be OK using the Colectivos? Thoughts?

Thank you!

Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Bumping myself back... Hoping someone can answer!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

I haven't been but found a thread on this same question

How to get there - from their website

How do I get there from Playa del Carmen?

From Playa del Carmen, go to the bus station located only a few blocks from the dock at 5th Avenue and Juarez Avenue. At the bus terminal, you can get to Río Secreto by taking the bus that goes towards Tulum. Or you can take one of the public transit vans located between 15th and 20th streets. Tell the van driver to let you off at Km 283.5 at the entrance to Río Secreto, which is less than 2 Kilometers (1.2 miles) from Calica Port. Taking the bus or van costs around $15 pesos. Some of the buses leave every hour from 4:00 a.m. Another option is to take a private taxi to Río Secreto, which will cost $15 US dollars for 4 persons, one way.

More info on the Rio website

Hope this helps

Have fun

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Here is the website

riosecreto.com/natural_reserve/howtoget_rivi…

Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Thanks! I've looked at the website -- I do my best to figure these things out on my own! I was hoping for some more specific feedback from someone who has been there, and to PDC as well.

Is it a far walk from where the colectivo drops you off to the main entrance area of Rio Secreto?

Similarly, is it a long walk from where the colectivo drops you off for PDC to the main shopping area? I've seen several distances referenced -- from two blocks, which wouldn't be a problem, to significantly further, which would! Which descriptions are accurate?!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
603 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Hi momfromma - we have been to both (but not on the same day). We stayed at Gran Bahia Principle so not same hotel but the collectivo drops right outside Rio Secreto - it was a couple of years ago but we were surprised how easy it was. We also visited PDC for the day and found it very easy - sorry, don't work in blocks as from the UK but not a long walk at all and easily done - not sure where significantly further came in. Depends where you want to walk to but the collectivo drops you off fairly centrally and if you ask they will tell you where their pick up point is for the return trip. All very do-able I would say.

I hope you love Rio Secreto as much as us. I would add - if your parents in law are going there with you - that it can be very slippery, you are in deep water (albeit wearing wetsuits) but have to swim through parts so do make sure they can cope with this before booking. Have you looked at all the pictures on the website? We found this part of the charm though! Also took our own water shoes as didn't fancy wearing some that other people had worn.

Have a great time.

Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Thank you, Daisy! That was amazingly helpful!! Yes - we're planning to bring our own water shoes, and my parents-in-law are up to the task -- I just don't want to add too much MORE activity to their day! :-). We're looking forward to it!!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,512 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

I've taken the collectivo from the Grand Palladium to Rio Secreto and know they drop you at the entrance just a few steps from the road- easy. If you are staying in Akumal however, your bigger concern is getting from the town to the highway 307 where the collectivo stops. Not to far, maybe 10 minutes or so, but not sure how far your parents will want to walk in the heat.

We just loved Rio Secreto, it was a fabulous experience.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 17:02
Cambridge
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

I don't know about getting to PDC after, but we went to Rio Secreto last October and if you book through their website they include transportation in the price. We were picked up from our hotel and had no problems!

Rio Secreto is amazing, you will have a great time!

Surrey, England
Level Contributor
603 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

However, you can just book the tickets without transportation at a much cheaper cost - worked out considerably cheaper for us doing it that way - BUT it was easy from GBP hotel and that obviously is something to take into account.

Boston...
Level Contributor
325 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Colectivo to Rio Secreto?

Yeah, we decided not to do the "transportation included" for several reasons. For the six of us, the additional cost adds up to a lot -- I'm SURE we could take taxis for less, if we go that route. Also, I was afraid of the extra time it would take if the van would be stopping at several other locations picking up/dropping off other visitors. And finally, we're not planning to depart from and return to the same place, and I didn't want to complicate things!