We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

So I have been to the Grand Sirenis and iam thinking of going to the GBP. How does the on site snorkeling compare?

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera Maya Resort & Spa
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,500 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

I've been to both. Snorkeling in front of Bldg 66 at the Akumal resort was way, way better than at the Sirenis. However, there are changes happening at GBP in Nov/14, so unsure if everyone will still have access to that stretch of the beach.

Plus at GBP, I wasn't subjected to the noisy parasail boats.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

You may want to take a look at Grand Palladium. It is the resort just north of Sireis. Good to very good snorkeling.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,948 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Beach is public - you can access the water

Bat: We didn't find the snorkeling great there - saw too many feeding the fish

Creighton...
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

VSD, I guess we were luck, we say Barracudas, Tunas, and all sorts of other fish in that man made quay area. No one was feeding the fish, I think the smaller ones were looking for somewhere to hide from the bigger ones . . . LOL!

We did see lots feeding fish both at the Sirenis and the Yalku lagoons however.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,948 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Excellent. The rocks / breakwater / Lagoon at Bahia sounds like its attracting more fish

Good to hear

Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Never failed to see turtles every time I've been in the sea at the Grand Sirenis, that wins it for me.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,500 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Leadville, CO
Level Contributor
743 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Barry- looking to be at the Grand Sirenis in December. "Never failed to see turtles". Any suggestions for where... Looking at the Ocean...Left? Right? In front of? You saw great ? near the coral? I love suggestions and appreciate help!

Years ago we went to the Occidental Grand Cozumel. We were told to watch for "Grandpa and his harem". Strange but True. We were not given any directions. We did, however watch the other folks snorkeling and so many went to the back right of the roped off swim area... we had been doing the left.

We redirected and went back right. I had just gotten a new underwater camera with video. We were surrounded and swarmed by a school of beautiful blue fish with big black eyes. It was great...get out the new video camera (video untested by me). I started recording these 1000's of fish swimming in circles around us and from the middle came a barracuda. Not just any barracuda, but a 5' long barracuda. We were introduced to "Grandpa" and his harem... WAY COOL!!! Great Video... didn't even shake!!!

WE WOULD LOVE ANY INFO YOU (or any one else) CAN SHARE WITH US!

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,500 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Perth and Kinross...
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

The very first fish we saw at the Grand Sirenis was exactly what you describe, just in the water and sorting out our masks, stuck head in water and saw a ball of fish and then as they parted we were face to face with a huge barracuda, certainly gets your attention.

Turtles at the GS are on the left side of the bay, best place to find them is roughly level with where they hold the weddings on the beach.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Sirenis Riviera...
15,500 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico
calgary alberta
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

We have stayed at both resorts, I prefer the Sirenis as the water is usually very calm and perfect for snorkeling.

Leadville, CO
Level Contributor
743 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snorkeling at Grand Sirenis or Grand Bahia Principe?

Barry...Thanks, Just added that to my list! Any other suggestions greatly appreciated...

It is strange when you get greeted by a huge fish parting the other fish in the water.

I would have loved to check out the Grand Bahia, but we had red flag days when we were there. I know sometimes the red flags are questionable, and we have our own equipment, but the week we were there, was not a snorkel from the beach week... I guess we will just have to do it again!

Thanks, Jill

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
Grand Bahia Principe Coba
14,364 Reviews
Akumal, Mexico