We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is GP the right choice????

Which Akumal hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is GP the right choice????

Hey guys!

I am traveling to the Riviera Maya from Vancouver 5-12th October.

Trying to decide between the GP Colonial and the Iberostar Paraiso Beach/Del Mar.

Initially was going to choose Iberostar due to close airport proximity.... But have heard the beach isn't that great and the GPs is quite a bit nicer. Additionally not having to make dinner resos was another selling point.

Please help me decide!!!!

Does the Colonial section have any ocean view rooms???? Also, what is the night life like at GP?! My partner and I enjoy drinks at night and also dancing. Does the disco get busy?

Thank you in advance!!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is GP the right choice????

Most of the rooms at Colonial have jungle views. There were some suites with distant views but the jungle has become quite lush there as well. There are some Kantenah Mayan suites that have ocean views and sit right on the beach.

There is a variety of entertainment in the evening There are live bands on most nights in a lobby (moves around) which you can dance to, a beach party on Sundays at noon with a live band, disco at 11pm, theaters and various parties scheduled such as the White Party and Fire show a couple of times a month at the salt water pool.. As October is low season, there will be entertainment but possibly a little less than say in high season. Check schedules on bulletin boards when there.

Gorgeous long varied beach with snorkeling and tons of shade.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is GP the right choice????

I would also like to mention that many many people who try the Palladium for the first time return again and again. I was one of those people who never returned to a resort and after I found thePalladium 11 years ago I have been returning to the hotel(s) and am treated like family. I believe you will find many others who feel this way.

ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is GP the right choice????

We tried the Iberostar the year after the Palladium for the same reason (closer to the airport). The beach is so much better at the Palladium ( very large rocks/boulders at the Iberostar beach). Also there was a lot of birds flying in and out of the buffet area; landing on tables and food areas. We have finally learned that a private transfer is the way to go; we'll be back at the Palladium in 2 weeks. Choose the Palladium, you won't regret it.

MD - USA
Destination Expert
for Puerto Morelos, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is GP the right choice????

I have stayed at both. They are both nice but I like GP better. The beach is better at GP as well. Neither really has ocean view options or at least very few.

Boston...
Level Contributor
315 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is GP the right choice????

The beach at the GP is HUGE. It is long and wide with many spots going back into the palm trees and offering many places for shade as well as the sun. If the beach is of high importance to you, you will love the GP.

There really aren't any rooms with ocean views at this hotel. That is part of the reason the beach is so spectacular. The rooms are set back and do not disturb the nature of the beach. As for me I would rather be at the beach than in my room looking at the beach.

Nightlife and entertainment: There is always something for everyone at the GP. There are 2 theaters with musicals going on at night. There are bands playing in lobbies. There is a sports bar and a few piano type bars. There is a disco too. I get bored REAL EASY and I was never bored while at the GP last month.

The GP has a lot to offer but it is not for everyone. If you want quaint and cozy this is not the place for you. The place is very large. For me that was a plus but once again it would not be a plus for everyone. We stayed at the Riviera Princess last year and the grounds at that hotel are spectacular. Absolutely stunning. If you were just going for the visual effect then that would be the place to go. The negative to the Princess is that it is boring there at night and the Ah La Carte's were mediocre at best. The Princess was well worth the money but I liked the GP much better.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is GP the right choice????

Thanks for the input everyone!!!

I think we've made the right decision in choosing GP over Iberostar! :) thanks a lot!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
21,479 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is GP the right choice????

I am looking at the Pallidium(s) too.. but am a tad confused..there are three of them right.. all they all together and you have exchange user privilidges at all of them ? Is there a tram that travels around them ( assuming this is a large area involved) Which one would be fun for family with ADULT kids who want to be somewhere lively .

I have seen White Sands, Kantenah(sp?) and Colonial mentioned. is there a big difference between the three. ? What would you say differences are?

Thanks in advance.

PS when is low season and high season in that part of Mexico normally?? We are hoping to book in a shoulder season to avoid worst weather chances but also high prices with high season.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
144 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is GP the right choice????

I was wondering that as well. My travel dates are oct 5-12th, hopefully good weather!! Crossing fingers :)

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,085 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is GP the right choice????

You can't go wrong with any section. There are 3 plus a 4th thats adult only. You have access to all amenities at the 3 non adults only sections. No problem walking to lobby, pools and restaurants in your section but I would not want to walk from Kantenah to Whitesands unless you enjoy exercising in a sauna. Summer time is brutally hot and humid. Shuttles run throughout the resort but my suggestion is to head to a lobby and catch it from there if traveling to another section. Less of a wait. My favorite resort so far. Always something different. If you get tired of one amazing pool, go to another.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,371 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is GP the right choice????

There are five resorts; each with its own lobby. Royal Suites Yucatan is adults only on can only be used by Royal Guests. The Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand and Riviera guests can use all amenities including unlimited ala carts at those resorts Royal guests can use the entire complex. I think adult children would enjoy being near the active Colonial pool. There is also a beach bar there with food 24/7, a sports bar. Lots of things going on for all ages. I would book the best price.

Low season starts in September until about Dec. 20. Xmas & Easter are high season. Swing season in around March, May, June.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 21:43