We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Zagreb
Level Contributor
479 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

After reading a lot of great reviews here we have finally decided to go to Si'an Kaan in February 2015. But lately there were some posts about changes at Akumal resort, which will effect SK also, and i suppose a lot of adults from Akumal will use SK facilites also. Since it will be our first time there, now we are a bit concerned regarding the crowds at the pool etc. We are the beach people as well, but mainly, specially my husband, is spending time at the pool enjoying his coctails :) we choose adults only because we prefer pools that are more quiet. Do you think these changes will much effect that? I liked the idea, while reading past reviews, of sleeping relaxed in the morning and not getting up in the dawn to reserve the pool beds. I hate that towel games that go on at many resorts.

Maybe i read and think about it too much, but since we are flying a long way, and paying quite a lot for our winter holidays, i try to research a lot in advance so we can choose well, and enjoy ourselves.

I know there are many of you who are GBP experts so what are your thoughts about it?

Also, though it is still too early to make room request which building would be most centrally located, near the resort tram, lobby?

Thank you in advance for all tips and answers. I am sure we ll have some more specific questions later. And of course now, when we have finally chosen the right hotel, the count down can start :) cant wait!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
44,898 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Who knows what will happen as far as these Akumal guests (mongrels they are) invading Sian Kaan

Assume you read the new Akumal summary thread I posted

Perhaps if too many complain, they will make changes but if they have booked Akumal for the ocean view and have been promised that they can visit Sian Kaan, they may. In reality, food will likely be the only Sian Kaan draw but if they improve this in Akumal, why do you think they will want to go to the too quiet Sian Kaan section with a 10-15 minute trip

Requesting a specific room / building

Check maps (top Questions)

Send in your request 7-10 days prior to your arrival

Ormond Beach...
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

We were in a regular room in villa 24B which was steps to the quiet pool and snack bar and a short walk to the lobby.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 02:45
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
899 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

I wouldn't expect to many extra people to go up to SK from Akumal. There might be a few people go up there just to see what's there but for most they are going to just stay closer to the beach

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Likely the Akumal adults will invade (I mean visit) the Sian Kaan alacartes so it will get crowded / overbooked

Zagreb
Level Contributor
479 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Ok, thank you all! I guess you are right, most people prefer beach, so they should not invade the SK pools.

Zagreb
Level Contributor
479 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Are the spa facilities free of charge?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
44,898 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

The Tao Wellness spa is free (most of the services) for all Bahia guests

Tulum, Coba, and Akumal sections have a spa/gym as well

See this thread

tripadvisor.com/…51250128

and

http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/spa/

Edited: 24 August 2014, 17:32
Mentioned in this post
Tulum
Tulum
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Okotoks, Canada
Level Contributor
153 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Vancouversundog, you are my favorite person right now for how you put us dreaded akumal people as mongrels LOL. So many times I want to comment on some of the peoples posts on here about us "peasants" invading Sian Kian but have kept my tongue to myself. Well done,

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,673 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Just a comment, as one of those " Akumal" people from last year, we had no desire at all to even try and visit Sian Kaan, we felt sorry for those guest,, to us they were paying more money for a less desirable location , across the highway and no sea view or access. And always having to take a long shuttle ride to visit the rest of the resort or beach!

If we return we would still choose Akumal over Sian even if by some fluke the price was cheaper there!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: GBP Si'an Kaan/Akumal changes Nov 2014

Joan, of course it's each to their own and all that, but are you also saying if you went back to Akumal and had the chance to go to the a la carte's at SK you wouldn't go either ?

Because to me that would be my worry as a returning SK guest ........ Totally appreciate the other a la carte's are harder to book as the entire resort is booking them but the two a la carte's at SK are in comparison to the others very small and with the adult guests from Akumal being able to use unlimited would make it much more difficult for SK guests IMO.

I think Akumal guests may have a one off visit to SK just to see what it's like but don't think it's going to effect the pools during the day at SK, pointless as the pools at Akumal are lovely too.