We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions re: GP

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Few questions re: GP

After much deliberation finally decided to book GP Kantenah for first week October.

A few questions..

Is there drink service on the beach/pool?

Can anyone recommend their favourite dishes at a la carte restaurants?

Are there any maps which indicate shortcuts around the resort?

Where can I get an early morning espresso before going on a walk? :)

Lastly, are there any a la crates that allow men in shorts or are they all pants?

Thank you! Any other trips or info is greatly appreciated.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions re: GP

There is drink service on the beach for Royal guests. Sometimes if the adults only pools are quiet the bartender will bring you drinks.

I will send you maps and menus.

You can get espresso at the two beach bars (Colonial & White Sand)

Men can wear shorts to Punta Emilia on the beach.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions re: GP

Great! Thank you! How do I check PMs on here?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions re: GP

Go to the top of the page. Next to your name there is an arrow. Click on that and the drop down menu will give you a "message" option.

Level Contributor
66 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Few questions re: GP

Ann, so no drink service at the main pools?

Ohio
Level Contributor
169 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Few questions re: GP

I loved being able to get espresso on the way to the beach during our early morning walks. By time we got to the second beach bar, I was ready for a refill.

Our favorite meal was at Punta Emilia. Our group of seven split a grilled seafood platter. It was out of this world.

At Mare Nostrum, my friend said that her salmon was one of the best she's had. I really liked my lamb chops.

My daughter loved her stuffed chicken at Portafino. She was thrilled when the waiter let her get a side of past as well. They also had a great salad bar with cheesy focaccia bread, serrano ham and other treats.

Nobody in our group had anything bad to say about any of our meals, even my friend's 11 year old.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Few questions re: GP

Can't wait! Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Now to decide on included shuttle transfer or private.... Hmmmmm

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
49 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Few questions re: GP

No, there is no drink service at the beach.

I had posted another question on the forum titled "Favorite food at Grand Palladium?"

tripadvisor.com/…59265381

My favorites are: the steak at Mare Nostrum, the Mediterranean restaurant, at any buffets, go to the grilling stations and ask the cook to grill chicken and mahi mahi fish, and soups at the buffets are usally good too.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Few questions re: GP

Another question: everyone keeps saying the Colonial section is livelier than Kantanah.... But don't both these properties share the same pool/bars/lobby etc?

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Few questions re: GP

The Colonial and Kantenah share a main pool area. The Colonial beach has a busy beach bar, a volleyball court and water sports. Kantenah beach is much quieter as there are no activites there. There is a beach bar on Kantenah at the north end but it doesn't serve food as does the Colonial beach bar (other than snack for the Royal guests).

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
13,325 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Few questions re: GP

I went with some newbies who were also foodies. We opted to go to Punta Emilia (seafood) and Portofino (Italian) twice. For those who stay in the Royal we also went to El Jardin twice. I'll send you their trip report.